Cannot open images!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by satellitboy, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satellitboy

satellitboy Registered Member

Hello all,

I have the problem that I cannot open images created with True Image 11 (build 8.082).
    The next error message is displayed:

"An error has occurred when opening the back-up:

Cannot continue because the back-up is damaged or because it is in use by another process, for example because the back-up is currently mounted as a disk station."

This happens when I try to open a *.tib file with TI (option: explore image) as well as directly by clicking on the file (should be opened with Explorer).
    I am able to mount the file from TI and explore it in that way, but I do not understand why the file cannot be explored directly.

I am using Windows Vista SP1 and I do not have any other problems with this software: I can use the back-up and restore functions without any issues.

I have tried to reinstall the software without success.
    Maybe it is better to have it removed from my system completely and reinstall it, but I have the feeling that some traces (registry entries) are left.
    I don't feel myself very comfortable to edit in the registry, so I wonder if someone has another thought how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom
    The Netherlands

2. SHP

SHP Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem. In addition I cannot use manage or create new backup locations.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Send your reports to Acronis Tech Support. They may be bugs in TI brought out by SP1.

4. SHP

SHP Registered Member

I sent in a request on Saturday. At least in my case it can't be an SP1 issue because I haven't installed SP1 yet.

5. satellitboy

Hello SHP,

Any news?? I have submitted the issue to the Dutch support team, but I did not get any solution yet.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello satellitboy and SHP,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

The possible reason of the issue can be in some registry entries which have not been updated correctly. So please check them. Windows registry must contain the following values in the UpperFilters registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters (PartMgr snapman)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters (VolSnap timounter snapman tdrpman)

So, the snapman value must be present in both the registry keys and the timounter value must be present in the second one only.

If these registry values can be found in the mentioned entries please download this archive, unpack it and run in order to add the information to the Windows registry. Then please delete C:\Windows\setupapi.log and reboot the computer. Check if this solves the issue.

Satellitboy and SHP, could you also tell me the numbers of your cases in Acronis Support Department. It can be found in autoreply you've got after submitting request. I'll check how the issue is investigated.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

7. satellitboy

Hello Nikita,

At first, thanks for your detailed response.
    I have checked the registry and the 1st line has the correct value.
    The second one, however, does not include the Volsnap value, and the sequence of the other values is different: tdrpman -> snapman -> timounter.
    Should I add the Volsnap entry (which is the 1st value followed by the other three)??
    The case number as provided by the Dutch support team is: Q75073.
    The last action from my side was that I was asked to mail some screendumps of the error messages, which I did.
    I am using TI Home 11.0 (build 8.082) and my OS is Vista Home SP1.

Rgds,

Tom

8. Acronis Support

Hello satellitboy,

Please be aware that VolSnap is Windows entry, and it's correct for it to not be present in Windows Vista. So, you do not need to add it.

Please notice that when you submit a request for technical support, you should receive a digits only number (they are currently 7 digits length, for example #1234567). Could you please clarify, which way have you submitted your request? If you submitted it via the aforementioned webform, could you please let us know the e-mail address you used (please send us a private message instead of posting it in the thread)?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. satellitboy

Hello Marat,

I am sorry but I was not very clear: I have submitted the problem to the Dutch team of Easy Computing (http://www.easycomputing.com/support/). This company represents the Acronis products for The Netherlands.
    This clarifies that you do not recognize the ticket number which, indeed, has a different format.
    The problem when trying to open the images is, by the way, not a big issue, although I do not like this kind of 'critical' error messages which affect the reliability logging of Windows Vista. The percentage of the 'stable' system decreases every time when this error message appears. My work-around is simple: I do not click on the *.tib file any more, and I do not use the explore feature from the TI program.
    Anyway, I hope to get a solution, maybe I am not alone...

Thanks anyway,

Tom

10. SHP

SHP Registered Member

Marat:
    Thanks for the input. Here's what I found:

The data value for the first key is: "PartMgr snapman"

The data value for the second is: "tdrpman snapman timounter"

Like satellitboy, I'm running Vista. So it seems I'm OK.

My case number is 1439244.

I ran the download you suggested and it does seem to have fixed the problem. I can now "open" and view my prior backups. I can also create new Acronis backup locations (although it does not list my old Acronis backup locations for some reason).

Marat, does Acronis have an understanding of what may have happened? I'd sure like to make sure I don't have the problem again!

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  11. Acronis Support

Hello satellitboy,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please try the solution provided by Nikita Sakharov earlier in this thread (downloading the archive and following further instructions in that post).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. Acronis Support

Hello SHP,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Most likely, something interfered with proper installation/functioning of Acronis drivers (for example, required registry entries were locked by security program). Unfortunately, more definite answer would require some extensive investigation.

If the problem ever appears again, it should be fixable just as easily.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.