Cannot install OS in empty Snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Baedric, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I have followed the instructions I found in the Raxco FAQ to the tee and I cannot install the OS to the empty snapshot. I get the "NT Loader Missing" error upon every re-boot. I already have the Bios set to boot to the CD Drive and the Windows XP install CD is in the drive. Any idea as to what may be wrong?

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Have you read this at Raxcos FAQ?

3. Baedric

sukarof,
    Yes I have read the FAQ at Raxco and I followed the instructions.
    I created an empty snapshot, booted into it and received the "NT Loader Missing" message, I then placed my windows CD into the CD drive and re-booted and then received the "NT Loader Missing" again. I double checked in the bios and yes I have it set to boot from the CD First. I then tried it all again and had the same results.
    I get the "NT Loader Missing" message every time I re-boot.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Did you press any key in order to boot from CD?
    The CD does not boot by itself, when you don't press a key it will continue with booting from harddisk, where the NTLDR is missing.

5. Baedric

wilbertnl
    Thank You!
    I actually had done that but exited out, as I wanted confirmation from someone here that I would not be overwriting my current OS.
    I have now successfully installed XP in my empty snapshot. I was just not willing to take that leap of faith at this point as I have loads of work and cannot afford the down time re-imaging my drive.

Thanks again!

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Just make sure you don't format the disk - choose leave file system intact.

Everything should then be fine - the installer should not be able to see other snapshots

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Yes, it looks scarry, since you can't see what your harddisk looks like when you are in the blue setup screen.
    As long as you don't format the partition, but select leave filesystem alone it's safe to proceed.

The great thing is that you are able to finish a fresh installation, while at the same time your other snapshots still exist.
    In case you have anchored data, you will find that available right away (handy for downloaded drivers, etc)!

Just install FD-ISR and your can boot into any snapshot you like, without having to complete the fresh installation to 'work state'.

(@starfish, you typed just a little bit faster. :))

8. Baedric

Thanks again everyone! All is well here and I have a shiny new Windows install to play around with.;)

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb: (This FD thingie sure is fun to play with, isn't it!)

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.