Cannot find hard disks (sounds familiar?)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mr_Bean, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Bean

Mr_Bean Registered Member

G'Day!
    So, having been told True Image 8 was better than Norton Ghost (the program we currently use), we decided to try it. It started well - installed with no problems, created a full image of the SATA "C" hard-drive (8GB of data on a 150GB disk) on to the SATA 80GB "D" hard-drive. Created a "Full" bootable CD. Set BIOS for CD boot, rebooted, all seemed great, until we selected "Restore Image". We got the dreaded "Error E000101F4 - cannot find hard disks" which is the subject of several posts on this forum.
    Installed "SnapAPI" as suggested here, even created a new bootable CD afterwards. No effect - same "no disks" error.
    (During CD boot I do notice there's a "ata1: disabling port" message?)
    (System is a new Dell Precision 370 workstation, Pentium 4 (3.2GHz) with two SATA drives, running "Win 2K Pro (SP4)"

Judging by the posts here on this subject it would seem True Image 8 has an "unwanted feature" (="bug"!!). But it looked good, so I'll try it again with a "Safe" bootable CD, and if that still fails I'll give it a last chance on an "ordinary" (not Dell) Pentium 4 with two parallel ATA 150GB drives, running XP Pro (SP2). If that also fails, I'll recommend we stay with Norton Ghost.

...and no, I'm not providing yet more SnapAPI files or "Report Utility" logs - I work for a Defense Company and they're fussy about who sees what's on their PCs!!

Mind you, I read that the trial version of True Image will not restore images - perhaps that's the reason? I'm not 100% sure of the pedigree of my copy - it was borrowed for evaluation and the lender is away in foreign parts for weeks , so I can't ask. But it doesn't say "trial" anywhere, so presumably it's kosher.

Mr_Bean

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  2. wolfgang_362

wolfgang_362 Registered Member

Please provide the build number, version (TI Server or not) and operating system you use when asking for help.

At http://www.acronis.com/support/ you can see how to find your build number.

As a first aid, try a newer build because many problems are solved with them.

Latest versions are:
    Acronis True Image 8.0 build 774 October 8, 2004
    Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows build 774 October 8, 2004
    Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux build 833 November 9, 2004
    Acronis True Image 7.0 build 638 October 1, 2004
    Acronis True Image Server 7.0 build 638 October 1, 2004
    Acronis True Image Server build 350 August 29, 2003

http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/

3. Mr_Bean

Mr_Bean Registered Member

G'Day!

Errrm - I did provide the OS (Win 2K Pro SP4) and the True Image version, 8, but I forgot the build No, which is 774 (and it's not the Server version).

I also didn't mention that both disks are NTFS.

Regards

Mr_Bean

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mr_Bean,

Please let me know the full model name of the SATA HDD controller installed on the computer under consideration.

Please also try the following workaround:

Please boot from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add the "acpi=off noapic" parameter (without quotes) to the end of the kernel command line (do not remove the word "quiet") and click on the OK button.

If the problem persists please fo the following:

Could you please boot from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette to support@acronis.com (this file contains only information about your hardware).

Thank you.

5. kevingre

kevingre Guest

was this ever solved? I have the EXACT same problem with the same hardware.

6. sspeckman

sspeckman Guest

Same problem here with Dell 8400 and got the same canned response. I have sent in my sysinfo file to see if anything is resolved.

7. Benno999

Benno999 Guest

Same problem here...Error E000101F4
    Acronis OS Selector has not found any hard disk drives
    Anyone know of a solution yet?

8. Benno999

Benno999 Guest

Removed in control panel..removed acronis folder from common files folder..then used regedit to delete "acronis" entries. Then reinstalled disk director suite. OS boot selector works great now

9. nreiter

nreiter Registered Member

I just moved my drives to a new computer with an Asus A8V motherboard with onboard SATA controller. Of course, TrueImage gave the E000101F4 error when I tried to run it. I uninstalled TI, rebooted, deleted the Acronis common files, and all references in the registry. When I tried to reinstall build 774, it finished with an error and didn't install. So now I have no TI program, and no backup.

The version I was running was Acronis True Image 8.0 build 774 October 8, 2004. What do I have to do to get TI to install?

-- Ned --

10. Acronis Support

Hello sspeckman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Our Linux developer is working on this problem right now and we will provide a fix for it as soon as possible. The problem is concerned with Linux drivers for ICH6R controller that is installed on Dell 8400.

Thank you.

11. Laurelton

Laurelton Registered Member

Hello,

My first post here. I've spent some time reading all the messages regarding the "cannot find hard disk" error, which is my problem too. I have a brand new (3 week old) Dell 8400 with 160gb HD (non-RAID). My TI build is the latest from Oct. 8 (774, I believe).

Any approximate idea when a new build/solution is forthcoming? I would really like to image my new machine (and feel comfortable that it's good) before moving on.

TIA.
    L

12. Acronis Support

Hello Laurelton,

The only thing I can tell you is that our linux developer is working on the problem with ICH6R controller now and he has got some results (the drivers for this particular controller are working but not realiable and now he tries to fix it).

Thank you.

13. Laurelton

Thanks for the response.

I've still have my copy of TI (I bought another product because I couldn't wait any longer) and I'm no longer in a hurry.

Will you announce the fix and new build in this forum? Or is there some other way for us to be kept informed once this bug is fixed? Checking here periodically is pretty easy, so I'd prefer this route. Maybe you can post a message with a title like "True Image 8 - Build xxx" available for customer download. I've seen this done effectively at other sites for new hardware firmware releases, etc.

Thank you.

14. Acronis Support

Hello,

I will definitely post a message about new build release.

Thank you.

15. La Mujer

La Mujer Registered Member

Hello,

I am using a new Dell XPS gen3, two internal SATA hard drives. I installed TI 8.0 build 774 yesterday and made an image. Booting to the CD created by the TI program yielded the same E000101F4 error under discussion when I attempted to ckeck the image. Does there appear to be a solution near?
    Thank you.
    Virginia

16. Acronis Support

Hello Virginia,

We are working on this problem right now. Our developer thinks that he is very close to a resolution of this problem. We have tested the linux drivers for ICH6R controller recently and Acronis True Image standalone version with these drivers can detect hard disk drives connected to the controller under consideration. There are several minor problems in the driver functionality now and we will fix them soon.

Thank you.

17. nreiter

You have never replied to the several message I posted in the thread I started on this. I even sent you the requested email address several times. Will you have a fix for MY installation failure problem soon too? If not, then please tell me how to get a refund. I have been unable to us TI for several weeks because it fails to install with my new mother board. Details are in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55803

18. santa clause

santa clause Guest

THIS SOLVES THE PROBLEM.

1. UNINSTALL ALL ACRONIS PROGRAMS OF

ANY KIND.

2. DELETE ALL REFERENCES TO ACONRIS

AND TRUEIMAGE FROM THE REGISTRY.

3. USE A SEARCH UTILITY TO SEARCH THE

BOOT DRIVE FOR ALL FILES AND FOLDERS

CALLED ACRONIS

4. DELETE ALL ACRONIS FILES AND

FOLDERS [AND THEIR CONTENTS].

REINSTALL THE PROGRAM.

19. seancfl

seancfl Guest

so the above makes the boot CD that acronis creates work properly with the sata drives?

I find it hard to believe that making changes through windows would modify this linx boot cd when you re-create it.

anyone try it yet?

I wonder if the author above was talking about how to get TI to work properly inside windows.

thanks!
    Sean

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Sean

I too can't see how the uninstall/registry purge/reinstall routine could make the Linux based boot rescue CD detect drives that it didn't detect before. This is normally the cure for when TI starts to freeze during image creation after previously working correctly.

Regards

21. nreiter

To be fair, as I've done a bit of grousing here, I received an email from Acronis Support today with a link to a file that I used to install just the drivers for, I assume, my SATA controller. After the requisite reboot, I was able to install TI 8 successfully. My belief is that they are developing special drivers for each of the problematic SATA controllers and when those are available, TI will install and run correctly.

22. wolfgang_362

wolfgang_362 Registered Member

Thank you for your feedback. So we can read that Acronis is working hard on a solution to satisfy the customer.

I think that most problems come up because many people here think TrueImage has to work with even newest hardware (which is almost impossible) and they are impatient while waiting for newer builds.

23. Acronis Support

Hello all,

I'm glad to announce that the 786 build of Acronis True Image 8.0 fixes all the problems with ICH6R controller.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

24. Laurelton

Thanks Andrew. I've downloaded the latest and will again try TI.

A side question:

As I mentioned, I've installed another product on the Dell 8400, which I've been using. I have another machine on our network, an older 8300, which currently has no imaging software installed, but which has a simple IDE drive (which I presume would pose no problems).

What I'd like to do, if possible, is install the latest TI build on the 8300, create a boot disk there, and test the boot disk on the 8400. That way, I wouldn't have to go through a complete uninstall of the existing product before I was sure my original problem was solved. Would that work, as far as testing the software on the problematical 8400 SATA drive/controller? IOW, are all boot disks created by a given build the same regardless of where the software is installed?

Thanks again.

25. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Laurelton

This question came up some months ago and Acronis confirmed that a boot rescue CD is build specific not harware specific.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.