cannot enable self protection or monitoring

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by joyartful, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyartful

joyartful Registered Member

WinXp SP2[ w/XP Firewall-[added Prevx to "exceptions"]
    avg 9.0 Free
    malwarebytes free
    spyblaster
    1gig Ram
    3.5 Intel Processor

I have tried 2 reinstallations of my registered, licensed Prevx 3.0 with Protection [ only SafeOnline is not included] & I cannot get the Infection Monitoring or Realtime Protection to kick in. Scanning works fine.

Sometimes when I open the Prevx interface, it suddenly disappears, same goes with the system tray icon. That icon does not show up at bootup nor does the splash screen, though I have them both configured to do so.

Each time I configure, the message tells me I must reboot & the changes will be enabled , but nothing occurs on reboot. I have Self-Protection at "minimum" setting, by the way.

One more item: my System Event Log repeatedly shows the error below. The time always coincides with my entering any changes in Prevx or running a scan. No corresponding event in Application logs.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 2/23/2010
    Time: 2:53:28 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOYARTFUL
    Description:
    The CSIScanner service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the path specified.

Program files shows only a folder containing the Prevx executable.

I can't figure out what's preventing enabling protection. AVG & Malwarebytes & of course, Prevx all show no infections.

Please..any help would be appreciated.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    I've sent you a PM - I think it would be best to have one of our engineers analyze your PC remotely to correct this issue.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

3. joyartful

thanks..what is a PM??

4. joyartful

Re: cannot enable self protection or monitoring/ignore q about PM

sorry about q re: PM: pm..I just discovered the answer in my inbox
    thanks again

5. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I had the same experience today and with AVG9 too. I installed the trial version of Prevx3 a couple of days ago without a problem but, when trying to uninstall and install again, Prevx couldn't even place a shortcut in the desktop. The rest of the siymptoms are the same than those related by the Op.

I sorted this by selecting "randomize path" in the installation options. Now Prevx3 is working fine again. I scanned with Prevx3 and with AVG9 and they found nothing.

I suspect that AVG detected Prevx3 activity and put it in a black list. AVG did this with Windows Defender before, when I updated from AVG8 to 9 (they officially recognized this in their forum).

Anyway, it would be nice to know what did Prevx support discover about the other case.

Cheers!.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Try right clicking the prevx.exe file within the Program Files folder, clicking Properties, then clicking Security. Then, on this tab, click Advanced > Change Permissions > Add... > and type: "Everyone" (without quotes) into the "Enter the object name to select" box and click OK. Check the top box "Allow" in the "Full control" line and click OK, then Apply, then OK, then OK, then OK.

*Wipes sweat off* :D

Let me know if that solves it - if not, I'll investigate further!

7. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Ok, I hope it makes sense:

I tried that and did't work. In fact, when trying to install again with a randomized path, it did't work this time either. Even my keyboard didn't work (the alphanumeric keys. Those auxiliary keys for launching the media player and so, did work). Uninstalling Prevx and rebooting solved this (just rebooting, didn't). The mouse kept working all the time.

I tried once more, this time monitoring what was happening with the task manager. During the first scan, Prevx showed an activity around 2% and AVG9 around 25%!.

Anyway, I was checking the internet activity too. During the scan there was no activity at all. When the scan was close to the end, there began to appear some transfering. In previous installing attempts (those that failed) I switched off my router right after the scan window dissapeared. This time, I noticed that there was still internet activity afterwards, so I waited until it stopped before switching the router off...and everything went fine, even Prevx shows proudly it's name in the .exe, as I didn't select "randomize" this time.

So Prevx is working again without problems (fingers crossed) and I don't know if I'm beeing helpful or boring (but I have a feeling about this...).

Thanks!.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.