CANNOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING "Connection to server was reset"

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by vanessawright, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanessawright

vanessawright Registered Member

Please help as I don't know anything about computers.....agggraahhhh

Every time I try to download something (eg. an attachment from my yahoo email account, or a new program from the internet), I get this message "connection to server was reset" and the download just seems to freeze.

This is happening since I recently had NOD32 installed in my Sony Vaio.
    P L E A S E HELP!!!o_O :gack: *puppy* o_O

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi vanessawright, welcome to Wilders.

The issue you are having in downloading sounds like a Dialup Connection is being used.

If this is the case it is directly related to your dialup connection provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). This error usually occurs with timeouts/disconnections put in place by your ISP which is typically timed for disconnection at either 10 or 20 minutes.

There is however a work-around to keep your dialup connection alive; please open up your email client and have it check for email every 3 minutes instead of the default setting of 30 minutes, this circumvents the disconnection/timeout of your ISP.

If you are using Microsoft Outlook EXPRESS, this area can be found in Tools> Options> Check for new messages every... Once you have this setting in place, simply keep your email client open and minimized.

Cheers :D

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  3. vanessawright

Thank you "Blackspear".:thumb:
    I will try this, but how do I open my "email client" and change the settings? I am using Yahoo email and you are right it is a dial-up service.
    Thanks*puppy*

4. Blackspear

You are welcome.

You will need to set up an email account in Outlook Express or the FREE Mozilla Thunderbird which has the ability to bring in your Yahoo account.

5. vanessawright

Hi again - SORRY:doubt: , my friend just told me I have ADSL (not dial-up). It's a "netgear" wireless internet thingy that I have. Will I still need to set up a new account in Outlook Express? Is that just to change settings then I continue on with yahoo?

6. Blackspear

No, please complete the following to see if your Windows Winsock Layer has become corrupt:

For Windows XP:

Click on Start
    Click on Run
    Type in cmd
    Click on OK
    Type in netsh winsock reset
    (Please note there are spaces between the netsh and winsock and reset)

Press ENTER
    Restart your computer.

AFTER the above please go to the NOD32 Control Centre
    Click on IMON
    Click on Start and restart IMON.

Then reboot your PC.

If the above does not work due to an issue with Windows, then please download WinsockXPfix from here: http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_winsockxpfix.html and run this program following the prompts. After the reboot start IMON as described above.

Once this is complete please also confirm the following:

NOD32 Control Centre> Update> Setup> Server is set to its DEFAULT SETTING of "Choose Automatically".

Click on Advanced and make sure LAN is set for Broadband ADSL/Cable or Dialup is set for Wireless Broadband, Dialup and Satellite connections.

Check Proxy Server Setup> setup to make sure there isn't a tick in there (99.99% of people do not use a proxy).

Check that LAN servers connection> Setup is set to System Account (default).

Beyond this NOD32 will update unless a firewall is blocking the Internet connection for NOD32.

7. vanessawright

ohmigod:eek: you are a genius. this will really put me to the test though...
    let me go home from office soon and try this on the vaio!
    I will write again and let you know how it goes*puppy*

8. vanessawright

Hi Blackspear, This is what happened:
    1) when i typed in netsh winsock reset, the computer just said "command not found winsock reset"
    2) i tried to download ("save", right?) the spychecker sockxpfix and I was getting the error "connection with the server was reset", so instead of "save", i did "open" and then it went through to 100% and told me that the fixing was done, etc and to reboot.
    3) after rebooting, I checked NOD32 control centre and it was all in order as you mention, except that when I looked to see if LAN is set for "Broadband ADSL" etc, the only options available there were i) None, ii) LAN/Fixed line, iii) Dial up, and iv) Other (portable comp.). So I left it selected on "LAN/Fixed line".
    4) I rebooted again (just for luck) and tried to again download from internet the program I need (utorrent) and I'm still getting the error "cannot download, the connection with the server was reset".

* How can I check for firewall? I am really struggling. You are probably in bed now aussie time.
    Thanks, Vanessao_O

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does uninstalling NOD32 actually make a difference?

10. Blackspear

Does connecting a LAN cable resolve the issue, just to see if the wireless router is the actual problem because that is what I'm thinking.

11. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

The problem as stated post 8 'command not found winsock reset' shows up on google
    Do you have XP + SP2

12. vanessawright

Hi to everyone who helped me. I got it fixed - called up the Netgear helpline and they fixed a few things and now it's all resolved. Sorry I don't know exactly what was wrong though....! Thanks!

13. Blackspear

Thanks for letting us know, and you are welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.