Cannot delete desktop stuff....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crisc32, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crisc32

crisc32 Registered Member

I wasn't sure where to place this, but I guess it will be moved if required. :)

Let's say I save a pic onto the desktop. When I go to delete it, it says

"cannot delete file: being used by another process."

The same is true for when I install programs and it creates a shortcut on the desktop, or if I download something with Firefox and it saves to desktop.

Anyone can help? I get tired of using Dr Delete..

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

start your computer in safe mode and then delete them.

3. crisc32

I can do that yes :) however do I have to do that every time something appears on the desktop?

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hello and Welcome crisc32!

I have this feeling about long filenames :cautious: .... care to give us the full name of what your trying to delete?
    Oop's, he's OFF! :D He's BACK! :D

GF

5. crisc32

It's not a specific file..it's ANY file that appears on desktop. I had pic1.jpg (small filename) and that did not delete either.

Types of files I couldn't delete:

.exe
    .jpg
    .mid
    .doc
    .txt

6. GlobalForce

Then can I ask why you chose Dr. Delete (may be the problem)? Was there a past problem where you needed to delete in-use files?
    Is there a copy of Process Explorer onboard?

Thought: If you move them inside a new folder on your desktop can they then be deleted?

GF

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  7. crisc32

Nope. I did clean install today, with original CD, and no errors occured during setup. I chose Dr Delete to get rid of the files that could not be disposed of normally.

Can't move them either, says the in use error

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might wat to start saving downloads to a different place such as a created folder in my documents. as it could just be the desktop that has them in use I have done this for many years and it works just fine.

10. GlobalForce

Try this .... Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders, you may have a corrupt desktop folder.
    And about Process Explorer?

Ditto on BigC's recommendation .... create yourself a download folder.

GF

11. crisc32

Thankyou to the unlocker program mr WSfuser :)

The problem seems to be associated with Panda Antivirus. :blink:

12. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

anyone know how to manually go in and unlock a folder kind of like what that unlocker program does? if so, can you explain how? i have a similar problem in which in my shared photos folder i delete or change the name of a photo, and the change does not take place immediately.....i have to close the window first, and then open it again to view the change. i though maybe somehow that folder got locked or something.

(edit: it used to show the change immediately after i deleted or renamed the photo)

13. GlobalForce

Big D,

Manually .... you've got to either kill off Explorer.exe with a command prompt kept open (access denied errors), or for more stubborn (in use) files .... renaming, then deleting through the Recovery Console (those would be my choices). I'm not sure how unlocker work's. I'm guessing it terminates threads or handles held open by a given process, much like what SysInternals Process Explorer is capable of.

For what you describe I understand what your saying about immediate changes and at one time it used to work. Could be caused by any multitude of factor's, possibly corruption, the underlying principles of shared folder's, fast user switching if enabled, update's, or something else I'm unaware of. Best bet maybe to go and site search Kellys-Korner, A-Z pages as creative keywords come to mind .... many tip's, work-arounds, and solution's to common and not so common problem's.

GF

Last edited: May 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.