Cannot Decide whether To Renew NOD32 License

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

With just a few days left, I am now leaning toward renewing my NOD32 subscription. I am running now NOD32 plus Comodo FW plus SuperAntispyware.

I was running Avira Suite and all looked well until after their latest update Avira flagged 3 files related to some HP installed utilities on my laptop and I reported to Avira as FPs. But, so far no word from Avira. i had heuristics set to High but 3 files flagged and no other AV in VirusTotal flagged them. Avira must cut down on the FPs because with Advanced Heuristics set with NOD32 in a couple of years, never a FP so far. This really bothers me about Avira although it is still a great product.

Gary

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

goddddd,

huntnyc, cant believe you still havnt choosen an antivirus,

go with your gut instinct, all my decisions go by that and no problems so far.

3. huntnyc

My "gut" tells me I don't like 3 FPs on one scan. Thanks.

Gary

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, its hard to choose a licence for an av company as you have to think "what will things be like 6 months down the line, 12 months down the line etc"

i choose dr.web as its only 26 euro for 2 years, good support and i know version 5 will offer better performance and detection and with a new interface etc, so at least i can expect that down the line.

just dont make your decision 'at present' .. try to think down the line, f-prot might be one to think about aswell, so i hear.

5. huntnyc

Update - Reported my 3 false positives to an Avira addresss, virus(at)avira.com, mentioned in the Avira forum and just a few hours later, now these files come up clean on my scans with Avira. Wonderful response on this! Good work Avira! Now making it hard for me again. Will stick with avira for a while and see how their hueristics go and their responses to FPs. I doubt if I will always have this positive experience this quikly but I am glad for it now.

Gary

6. btman

btman Registered Member

I gave one friend avira, (on a clean computer) and no complaints yet. Another friend Avast (which i used and loved until I came across Kaspersky which I love more) he hasn't complained but it cleaned his computer good. I'm running NOD32 trial now, and have gotten 2 false positives, but I can't hate the product for false positives (or i would have ditched a-squared), but yeah. I prefer Kaspersky so far, but after my NOD32 trial runs out, I'm going to try BitDefender 10 and maybe Avira's suite.

Otherwise if you haven't done so (didn't read the whole thread) I'd try Kaspersky, or use everyones trials until one is satisfactory.

7. huntnyc

Have tried KIS 6 but simply prefer Avira over it at present, just my personal preference though. Thanks.

Gary

8. ElPhenix

ElPhenix Registered Member

Well, I have chosen Dr.Web more for its capacities (advanced heuristics) and its excellent engine than its price (however the French Version -drweb.fr- cost me 47euros for 2 years). It is really stable and very very reliable. I never had a problem with the SpIDer Mail module (contrary to the MailGuard module of Avira ..., but that doesn't mean that I think that antivir is junk).

ElPhenix

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm going to renew for two years. If the AV works great, which it does, who cares if it's pretty to look at. I don't care if version 3 ever materializes. NOD32 works great as is. It isn't going to work any better as ver.3, just slightly different.:D

10. huntnyc

Yes, I just have to say NOD32 and Avira Suite are dead even when I consider all factors, dead even as far as I could easily be satisfied with either. That's why I toss back and forth between these two so much. As to who will do better in future, who knows? They are both fantastic programs.

Gary

11. huntnyc

Just thought I would bring this thread to some sort of conclustion. Today, I renewed my NOD32 subscription for 2 years. I just could not beat its performance on my system no matter what other antivirus I tried. Thanks to all and good New year.

Gary

12. Mascot

Mascot Registered Member

While on the topic of renewals.. I so wish Eset would demand their country distributors offer an easy way to renew license. The company that handles my country demands that we mail them and ask about renewals (it doesn't even specify the email, just redirects to a page with several of their contact emails on it), as opposed to just being able to purchase it directly.

I'm the go to guy for computer issues in the family, and they're all NODified, and I have to go through this mess for each of them. So far I've just had them re-purchase to save time, but that's leaving a sour taste in my mouth. It's enough for me to consider alternatives. I can live with it for my own part, but it's just too much hassle having to handle it for an entire extended family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.