Cannot Decide whether To Renew NOD32 License

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

JerryM has said kav6.0 is lighter than nod32 on his system and he has tryed both and atm he uses kav6.0 on his desktop.
    lodore

2. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Right!

3. Hermescomputers

I'v never had a single time I tested KAV in anticipation to go on a production machine where I didnt remove it within a short order...

Not my first choice!

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

whats your problem with kav?
    and what do you prefer?
    lodore

5. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

If I was you, I would stick with Nod32, "if it's not broken don't fix it". I think there are going to be a lot of improvements to nod32 next year with version 3, but even now it's still up there with the best.

Londonbeat

6. Hermescomputers

Performance!... It works but to me it's not sufficient to just work.
    It has to be light on resources and not impact on overall performance to do it's job...

I have never been satisfied on that part enough to justify me making good recommendations or even using the product... I'm sure it may not be the most popular perspective on the product but it is how I see it...

Of late I am using NOD32 in it's (Partial) 64 bit iteration. I am satisfied even though it still a bit slow on scanning in my opinion... I am still awaiting a full 64 bit version with a complete set of 64 bit modules.... Soon I hope!

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

once kav6.0 has done the first scan and opened all the programs you use once its fine. my pc is fast with kis6.0 on it. it took awhile to load up the first time 3 hours. second scan took only 30minutes.
    now the k icon loads right away in like 2 seconds.
    and it doesnt slow me down.
    sometimes when im doing alot and it updates i get a slight slowdown for a few seconds but not much. at least the update works whihc is more than can be said for nod32 sometimes lol.
    lodore

8. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

That problem seems to have been sorted since the new update servers were installed, it has for me anyway, and there seems to be a lot less people mentioning it in the nod forum too.

Londonbeat

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats nice to hear for people using nod32!
    lodore

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I have also read comments on other forums where some say KAV 6 runs lighter than NOD32. I'm no expert in technical matters, but I can give you my experience with both. I'm sure others will have different views. :)

I am currently using KIS 6.0, I made the switch from KAV to KIS a few days ago. I have used NOD32 in the past. As far as performance goes, it's very close. They both run very light on my computer. The only differences I have noticed is, some downloads seemed to take a little longer to execute with NOD32 installed, and KAV/KIS may take a little longer to install that first update of the day when I first start up my computer. I am very happy with KIS 6.0, so those few extra seconds is no big deal to me. :)

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

It's difficult to compare two AV, especially those that have the complexity of KAV's options

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the first time it took a while for the k icon to load up.
    but then after i started to open programs and they got check summed and then i rebooted due to the network driver update the icon loaded faster.
    and then after the first scan it loaded up even quicker.
    so once it settles in it the loading up and computer speed is fast.
    im really happy with kis6.0 on my main pc.
    lodore

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." school.

But without a doubt, KAV has been lighter on both my machines, and scans MUCH faster after the first scan than NOD. I have KAV6 cranked up to full bore including PDM.

My own preferences for AVs for my use are; KAV6, F-Secure, and Avast Home in that order.
    If Avira ran well on my systems I would consider it almost the equal of KAV, but it does not. I have hopes that the problems with updates, guard not opening, and icon not showing in the tray will get corrected. Examination of the Avira forums indicate that these problems are still prevalent.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is the only intelligent statement made in this thread. You cannot compare because none of us have all the settings exactly the same as everyone else! KAV is very slow for me when I boot my computer. It takes forever to load in the systray and boot is slow too (XP Pro SP2). So, I could post here and say how slow KAV is which is true but there is a reason it is slow. I do not use ISwift and IChecker. I don't trust Kaspersky to not ruin my computer like 5.0 did. I realize that ISwift and IChecker do not set Alternate Data Streams like 5.0 did but they and KAV do something that is messing with chkdsk. I don't want any further chkdsk problems than what KAV has already done which is disturbing but is not serious...yet. I don't want that to get serious like it has for other users. So, I would never use ISwift and IChecker. I also have never done a full scan partly for this reason, plus, I don't believe in doing full scans unless you have reason to believe you are infected. I don't want to do a ROUTINE full scan because that seems to affect chkdsk on some computers and since chkdsk is adversely affected on my computer by KAV, I don't want to make that worse.

At any rate, you cannot compare lightness between computers or AVs unless you get a group of folks with exactly the same applications on their computers, configured the same and then install KAV and configure it exactly the same on all the computers.

I have KAV set to scan ALL files and to not use Icheck and Iswift and with the exception of a slow boot and very slow loading of KAV at boot, KAV is light on my computer...but then I don't even have the email or the webscanner installed. I think those are worthless modules. I only use file antivirus.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

"Originally Posted by Howard Kaikow
    It's difficult to compare two AV, especially those that have the complexity of KAV's options"

It is not that difficult on a particular system. Why make it so complex? It either runs well or does not, and has a top notch detection rate or it does not. What is so hard about that?

Best,
    Jerry

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

at first the k icon took a while to load up
    now after the first scan and using the pc alot the icon comes up in two seconds.

first scan took 3 hours
    second scan while using the pc 30minutes.
    it definatly is fast once its made checksums on all the files.
    Lodore

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Jerry,

I couldn't agree with you more. Why some people make things so difficult is beyond me. Like you said, it either runs well on your computer or it doesn't. If an AV has great detection rates, but makes my computer run like crap, I'm not going to use it.

18. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Agreed and Avira Suite is running extremely well on my sytem at this point. NOD runs fairly well also but Avira seems very smooth to me, at least on this laptop.

Gary

19. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Kav vs nod real time protection

As for the real time scanning they are almost identical if you set the relevant options in kav.
    1) Additionally you get much better interface, animated tray icon to be informed when it scans anything and in my opinion way better exclusions.
    2) I was using nod for 2 years and I remember that there is a limit in the exclusion list (20 or 30), which is unacceptable for me. Further although I added some specific exclusions it seemed that these were not completely excluded (example: javaw from web anti-virus, which was giving me constant 100% cpu on Azureus)
    3) Proactive defense, registry guard with hosts protection, start-up shield etc.

Kis vs nod

Well if you don’t mind that kis costs more than kav, you get a decent firewall, which in combination with your router gives you competent all around protection and if you wish some additional features such as anti-spy, anti-spam etc
    All these for just a few extra megs of ram, and no additional system load.

Final point

I was using nod for 2 years, in my work’s old PC. If you have an old PC its easier to understand/feel the resources load difference.
    Well I was sitting in front of this old PC 10 hours per day and NEVER noted any difference in performance when switching from nod to kis, I could say maybe the other way around in some cases.
    Although now I upgraded my PC, I still use kis and never looked back.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also it has slightly better self protection since nod32 can be shutdown but comes back but i dont know if anyone has been able to shut it down other than command line and that way you need the password.
    nice comparison.
    lodore

21. Hermescomputers

The main problem for me happens at client sites... You can spend 2 hours just loading an AV. I have too many things to do onsite and cleaning viruses has to be fast an efficient. Otherwise people get cranky when they have to wait. I have to say I always had problems loading KAV on infected systems and do work... at the end just forget it. I need easy and fast, with workings setting right from the defaults...
    Think about it you have to scan for both viruses and for spyware + all the other fun stuff..

I use a number of tools to do my job and if it takes too long its bad for me as the clients get all bent out of shape having to pay for the bill...

Simple economics principle applied here...

I love NOD32 because it is active and ready within seconds and a simple re-boot and a 15 minutes scan and I have most problems fixed. (granted I often use external av's to do my primary scans and cleaning is often done manually) It is not a perfect product but it works in most instances.

KAV is a good product and a few of my friends are using it and swear by it. But providing "constructive" criticism is for the better and hopefully will lead to an improvement on an already good product...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  22. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Well yes kav is the most customizable AV you can find and first time users have to spend some time for set it according to their needs. Now if you have spent this time with kav and even if you installing it for first time at another PC (not yours) you still can load a saved configuration (from your PC) and then quickly then modify it according to its needs.

But as you said absolutely true is that nod has some advantages over kav.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sure the scans take longer but the install is quick.
    the scanner is more through and has better detection rates.
    i like both products but for every day use i prefer kav.
    lodore

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt say its more through,

yes it has a better detection, due to the sigs, but if your going off detection, might aswell use Avira.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought kav had better packer support and thats one reason why its slower.
    it would be nice if kav had a faster base engine and then with ichecker and iswift it would be even better.
    that would mean even the first scan wouldn't take long.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.