cannot create recovery disk-Paragon does

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by uxb20, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uxb20

uxb20 Registered Member

I have tried to create a recovery cd from both the 'Home' selection menu and from a downloaded ISO file from Acronis. The closest I came to booting was from the ISO file when I got the:
    loading kernal.dat....
    isolinux: disc error 32 ax=4280 drive 9F
    otherwise reboot does not see recovery disk in boot up.

Any ideas?

So, just to make sure I did not have other problems I created a recovery cd from Paragon and this created with no problems! I am ready to give up on Acronis.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Probably so does ATI 10.

Paragon, like all the backup/imaging programs all have the same sorts of probs although not always with the same hardware setups. Most of them lack the features in ATI10 such as automatic backup management including deleting old files, etc. It seems that Paragon periodically comes onto this forum as a user to trumpet its software -- kind of smarmy, imo.

ATI and Paragon and some others can be tried for free so you can see if one program suits you better than another. Just be sure to attempt a restore before you rely on any of them.

3. uxb20

uxb20 Registered Member

Not sure what you are getting at. I have ATI 11 and would expect the creation of the recovery disk to be a no brainer out of the box. My only point was that I have both products, I am a home user, and expect the basic function of creating a recovery disk to work on a vanilla system, such as XP home. I originally purchased ATI11 based on user reviews and did not expect a problem such as this. If I cannot make a recovery disk. then what else is flawed? And if my hard disk crashed, recovery become problematic. My point to mentioning Paragon was not to tout another product as much as to indicate that another software product does run thus helping eliminate my thought that I had a problem with my hardware/software configuration which would cause problems for any recovery software. I purchased Paragon only to try to isolate my problem. I am not Unix knowledgeable, so any help the error displayed would be appreciated.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I didn't have any subtext in mind.

Yes, making the boot CD should be simple. Usually, the only hop it requires is to leave the drive drawer open and let the Boot creation wizrd close the drawer when it needs to and to be sure you don't have InCD or similar program running and not releasing control of the drive.

Yes, Norton, Paragon, ATI and the others leapfrog each other with which particular hardware they can handle, having more or fewer bugs, and even features. It's that overall comparison that usually goes into the the reviews. ATI 11 is not exactly a shining moment in Acronis's history -- by the next build, it might be, but not yet. Heck ATI 10 worked on all my machines and ATI11 only works on two, a low percentage. Some of the comanies, like ATI have a decent or great forum like this one -- some make you go through tech support as the only source of help (ooohh-- shuddering with shivers remembering Norton Tech). But if a program doesn't work for you, on your hardware, it does'nt matter how great the reveiws, it won't put you back in business when a hard drive fails. So you have to try the diff offerings and see what works best -- Hint -- none of them work flawlessly, automated, and on all the hardware available.

good luck

5. uxb20

uxb20 Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I did not want to sound cranky, but I was surprised at the problem I was having as that would have been the last thing I would have expected. I made an assumption(ha, ha) that ATI11 was solid! And yes customer support has been interesting.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello uxb20,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.