Cannot copy saved .tib files to CD-R

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Brizvegan, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brizvegan

Brizvegan Registered Member

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help this TI newbie!

I have just purchased (retail box) Acronis True Image 9.0 (build 2302).

I was able to create a bootable rescue CD-R and test it ok.

I successfully created an entire hard drive image (one whole file) and saved it to a USB external hard drive. I then was able to verify and reinstall that image and recover my hard drive. Great!!!!

I then experimented and created another entire image, but this time used Archive split to break it up into CD-R sized pieces (4 .tib files) and saved these on the external HD.
    Files verified OK.

I want to copy these 4 files for safety onto CD-R, but cannot do it.

I am using TDK Gold 700mb 80min CD-R.
    Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum (Take Two removed) all available updates
    TEAC CD-RW (Teac CD-W54E)
    IBM NetVista Pentium III (yes, I know it's old!!! :doubt: ) 800Mhz
    20gb HD
    Windows Me
    Usb 1.1
    Seagate 160gb External USB HDD

I have read in the forum some problems with Easy CD Creator 5, but I am able to burn other Data CDs no problem. The program doesn't seem to be able to handle the .tib files.

When ECDC5 starts recording, a File System Generation box comes up. There is drive activity, but nothing in the Progress bar. Then after a while "Copying Files" box comes up - and then nothing. The Program and computer freezes solid. I have to turn off with pc's off switch.

I have made many attempts in every which way to do it:

Copy to hard drive first using CD Image
    Copying the saved .tib files back from ext HD to the internal hard drive, then trying to burn
    Using the different file systems - ISO/Joliet/UDF
    Letting program close the CD tray - It just tells me to insert appropriate media
    Slow burning, eg. 1x - can't get any slower than that
    I finalize CDs
    Disc at once/Track at once etc. etc.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

It may well NOT be a TI problem as I was able to successfully image the HD, but maybe someone out there has TI9 AND Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum and can tell me how to do it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brizvegan

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi Brisvegan,

From your name, it sounds like we may be from the same neck of the woods.

Exactly what split size did you use? The recommended size is 633MB. I've looked everywhere for the post that explains exactly why this size is used, but so far, haven't been able to find it. Your problem be something as simple as your split size being just a tad too large.

Also, you should register your software and download the latest build which is 2337. You must uninstall 2302 before installing 2337.:cool:

3. Brizvegan

Hello, Ozmaniac

Thanks for your reply, and yes, I am from your "neck of the woods". ;)

... I split the files at 650mb, but have also tried 550 and 520mb with the same result. I will try again at 633mb. Maybe that's the magic number.

I have registered with Acronis but haven't upgraded to the latest build yet.
    I thought that having restored a successful image with 2302 I'd just stick with the winning formula, but ... having this CD-R problem, I'll have to try 2337.

Thanks,
    Brizvegan

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, if you were trying to burn the files directly from the USB 1.1 HD to CD, I'd expect that the USB just isn't fast enough, but you said that you copied the files back to the internal HD and still couldn't burn them.

Since the backup is in 4 parts, can you burn the smallest part to a CD (after copying it back to the internal HD)? If you can't do that, then something is really wrong with your burning.

There is nothing special about the .tib files except that they are large. If you can burn other files to CDs, the .tib files should burn OK.

5. Brizvegan

Hello, John

Yes, I tried to burn the smallest of the .tib files after copying to the hard drive, to no avail.

Curiously, this afternoon I downloaded the latest build 2337 from the Acronis web site and managed to burn this to a CD-R in the normal way (Data CD Project). It was a bit dicey, though. I thought ECDC5 was going to "stick" at the File Generation System part again, but it went through ok.

I haven't installed the new build yet. As I said before, TI9.0 2302 build seems to have worked well for me, so I suspect it is a Roxio or CD-RW problem.

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully used Easy CD Creator 5 to burn CD-Rs as backup for their backup, and maybe they can tell me step-by-step what they did to get it right.

Thanks for replying, John
    Cheers,
    Brizvegan

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Brizvegan,

Any reason why you aren't using TI to image DIRECT to CD (rather than using the two-step method)? TI has it's own CD recording API and therefore doesn't require use of third-party burning software. It will also fill each CD to capacity and prompt for the next disk (leave archive splitting set to "Automatic").

Oh, in case you haven't done so, remember to create a new bootable rescue CD after you updated to the latest build ;).

Regards

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Brizvegan

I am assuming you have installed the latest Ti build.
    Since you are using 700mb cd's there is nothing wrong with making your tib files 700mb in size.

Update your burner firmware, if available. This will insure compatability to a wider range of disks. When you burn, just make sure you set a speed less than the rated speed of the cd's.

Uninstall all other burning software and also scrub the registry for remnants.

It is possible that since this is an IBM it came preloaded with a burn prog called Veritas DLA. Right click on your burner icon and see if dla is on the menu. If so, disable it. It WILL cause you problems with other burn software.
    Best would be to uninstall, though.

Google and download these free progs:
    Deepburner, Dvdinfopro (from your neck of the woods), and forceaspi.

1 You may well be having a common aspi layer problem caused by Easycd. Unzip force aspi and uninstall the current aspi layer and install the most stable adaptec layer in the zip file. Just make sure you follow all the steps and check it.

2 Install, Dvdinfo pro, it gives you a wealth of burner and disk info and tests as well as initially format a rw disk.

3 Install Deepburner to burn cd and dvd. It is non bloatware, which means it will not hijack your system or memory as do most burning progs and has 99% of the capability. I have all the major burn progs and only use Deepburner.

4 Copying your tib files back to your internal as you did, is always better, just as keeping a copy on a hdrive itself in addition to optical.

5 With the above done, try burning your tib files thru windows via drag and drop in the Deepburner window. If using rw disks they will have to be formated the first time with Dvdinfopro.

If you are leary of uninstalling your software, then go to start>run> msconfig> ok and choose to disable the start of any conflicting software. You must at least install the aspi layer though.

Windows Me is regarded as the least stable os from MS, but it should work well if configured well. If you have 512mb ram you can also run xp very well.

Post back your results.

8. Brizvegan

Hi Menorcaman and Noonie,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions!

Menorcaman - I haven't yet used the Direct to CD image route because I thought that method might be trouble. I read in the forum that the "two-step" method was preferable. When I normally make music CDs for example, I always do the "Create CD Image" first routine. ... But I certainly will try that next.

Noonie - I'm haven't yet installed 2337. I'll try these suggestions first, and if no good, I'll install new build and then go from there.

My Teac CD-W54E has the latest firmware available.
    I only have Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum installed (ECDC 4 came with my pc, but it was removed (with Roxio's help) after a problem a couple of years ago interfering with version 5).

As far as I know I don't have Veritas DLA - will check after. Maybe this was included with IBM pc's after I bought mine (March 2001).

Indeed will try those programs you suggested - Deepburner, Dvfdinforpo and forceaspi.

As far as "Drag and Drop" method goes, I would prefer to burn a CD-R in the "normal" way as, again, in the forum, people have been saying that using Direct CD on formatted CD-RW is dicey, info isn't reliable etc. but if all else fails ...

I have disabled Startup items under msconfig:
    - TrueImage Monitor.exe
    - Acronis Scheduler 2 Service Registry (Machine Run)
    - Acronis Scheduler 2 Service (Machine Service)
    while I attempted to burn the CD.

It worked when I burned a copy of 2337 on CD-R, but then I tried to burn the HDD copies of the .tib files ... unfortunately, no go. I don't understand "you must at least install the aspi layer though". I'm not that computer savvy!

Yeah, Windows Me sure is lousy, but being my first pc I haven't known anything else :) . I only have 256mb of ram (upgraded from 128mb).
    I'll soon have to bite the bullet and get a new (custom built) pc with windows XP - just in time for it to be made obsolete by Vista :D

Anyway, will try all of the above suggestions and report back.
    Thanks again for taking the trouble ....
    Brizvegan

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I just put an Oct 2005 image back on PC since it was just prior to switching to Nero that came with an OEM DVD burner.
    I burned a 650MB tib file to a CD-R on my Samsung 248B burner using Easy CD Creator 5. I'm sorry I forgot to look at the exact version number but I think it was up-to-date or close to it. It was most likely the Basic version.

Roxio did a verification of the file. This was done under XP Pro SP2 and the original .tib file was on a network drive.

Added: The method was the normal method of burning a CD not formatting and using like a floppy via InCD or whatever Roxio calls it. This program used to burn 650MB Drive Image files under W98SE.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  10. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Brizvegan

Drag and drop is a normal way and just an easier way to choose the files. That was probably THE most convenient feature of a GUI os, such as Windows and Mac.
    Open your burning prog and go to the window that shows the files on the future cd (to be burnt). Open another folder or directory window showing the file(s) you want to burn and just drag them to the destination window. Clean and simple.

It's a translation layer between the os and your burner, required in os's prior to xp, not supposedly needed in xp, but usually very problem solving in xp as well. Progs such as you had installed, use their own form of aspi which is not nearly as stable as the industry standard Adaptec version. You really need not understand it fully, just install it. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

WinMe should work just fine for you when all the quirks are ironed out and if the progs you need don't require xp. I just wanted you to be aware that you could run xp on your present system.

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Brizvegan,

I have the feeling that you are trying to solve too many variables at one time.

I would certainly first install build 2337 (after uninstalling any previous one) and burn a 2337 Rescue CD.

I would most definitely refrain from disabling the three Acronis service/processes at any time during testing - and later too, for that matter.

Then, I would follow Menorcaman's advice and try to burn an image directly to CD. The CD burning tool, embedded in TI, is a reliable one. The suggestions about the two-step method you saw, are meant for DVDs, which TI can't burn directly without the help of third party burning software.

Only after knowing where I stand at this point would I look further, not neglecting the upgraded memory, which can be tested by means of memtest86+ (no error shoud be reported after a few hours' run).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  12. Brizvegan

An update to the "copying saved image to CD-R" saga ...
    BTW, thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions.

I have had some success with this problem.

I had some more major pc problems (unrelated to TI), so I decided to do a full reinstall of Windows with IBM Product Recovery CD and start from scratch, this time loading latest TI 9.0 build 2337 and limited number of other programs.

Created bootable CD-R rescue media - successful
    Created 633mb sized 3-part image - successful (verified ok) - saved on partition of main hdd

Instead of installing Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum in fresh install, installed DeepBurner.

Was unable to use DeepBurner to direct burn entire disk image to CD-R.
    Got "error 502 (0x101F6) Operation with Partition C: was terminated. Unable to create volume snapshot (0x70021).
    Then:
    "Error 100 5 (0x640005) Operation has completed with errors". Abandoned ship.

2nd attempt:
    Copied entire disk image (in 3 x 633mb parts) to main hdd - successful
    Image verified on hdd partition ok.
    Used DeepBurner to copy (move) .tib files to CD-R at 2x speed, no multisession disc.
    Burned 3 CD-Rs - successful.

Trying to verify images on the created CD-Rs was the problem.

Many messages along the lines of
    "Please insert the media marked volume 2
    Press retry when ready or press cancel to cancel the operation"
    when I had already done so. Many attempts, .... eventually the CDs were inserted and TI continued to verify. (suggests iffy CD-RW burner?)
    ANYWAY, eventually verified ok.

Decided to go all the way, and Recover image from CD-Rs.
    Boot disk - ok
    Asked for Vol 1, 1 min later asked for Vol 2 - inserted, then it asked for Vol 1 again. Retry. Then Vol 1 inserted and started.
    5 mins remaining - Error E00040007: Error opening the file .... the poor media quality message. Please press retry to continue with Vol 2 or press cancel ...

Pressed retry. "Please insert the media marked Volume 2 ...." Press retry ..
    Vol 2 inserted ok and started.

"Please insert Vol 3 ..." then immediately, "Please insert Vol 2 ..." again.
    Vol 2 started again.
    5 minutes remainining, 2 mins remaining ...

Error message as before, but this time "Retry with Vol 3 ...".
    Inserted Vol 3 ... starts

6 seconds remaining ... Error message again. This time insert Vol 1.
    Did so.

After a while ... "The Data was successfully restored." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebooted - seems to be working ok. :)

BOTTOM LINE:
    TI9.0 has worked for me - I can save entire disk image to:
    External HDD, partition on main HDD (not good, I know, but can do it), copy this to CD-R using DeepBurner.
    Am able to restore.

Happy camper!

Thanks again,
    Brizvegan

PS. Sorry for the long-winded and complicated posts.

13. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Glad to hear you had some success.

Well, this didn't even dawn on me until I read your last post, but your burner does not have burnproof tech, so you can guarantee failures from a usb device.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by this, but If you have 3 633mb tib files that is a 3 step process with any burn prog.

I don't normally even fool with that nonsense. If the cd's have 633mb on them and the last cd less, then I'm happy.

I always try to copy them back to an internal hdrive if possible before initiating a restore. I have had cd's fail a restore, and then the same files copied from them to a hdrive worked perfectly. That's why a 2nd internal hdrive is nice.

If you feel like more experimenting, try this
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4Q2QAK
    It's free to you.

14. Brizvegan

Noonie -

Correction, my mistake:
    I meant to say that I was unable to use True Image to burn entire disk image direct to CD-R (as suggested by Menorcaman), letting TI automatically split and prompt for the next disk etc., ..... not DeepBurner.

Brizvegan

15. Menorcaman

Hi Brizvegan,

Sounds as if there was something in Windows mode that prevented TI from locking the partition(s) and taking its snapshot. Therefore, if you have the inclination, boot from the Linux based TI rescue CD into "Full Version" and try creating an image direct to blank CD-R/RW.

Note - when verifying or restoring an image created across multiple CDs/DVDs you need to insert the disk containing the last .tib file (or Volume as TI likes to call .tib files) first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent Volume (or disk in the case of CDs) insertions.

Regards

16. Brizvegan

Hello, Menorcaman

I will definitely give this method a go.

When I was verifiying/restoring the 3 CD-Rs I had created with DeepBurner I found it disconcerting when TI kept asking me to change the volumes back and forth (not in the supposed reverse order).

I understand that it's supposed to start with the last volume and end with the first volume, but I was uneasy when TI asked to insert Volume 1, then a minute later insert Number 2, a while later 1 again, then 2, then 3, then 2, then 3, then finally 1. If it was truly working properly, TI would ask for each volume once only, wouldn't it?

Anyway, it the end it worked this time, so all's well that ends well.
    (so far) .... ;)

Brizvegan

17. Menorcaman

Hi again Brizvegan,

Out of interest can you advise whether it was a Files and Folders image you were restoring rather than a Partition/Disk type or did you carry out a files and folders restore from a partition/disk image? Either case will result in a lot of seesawing between Volumes.

Regards

18. Brizvegan

Menorcaman,
    I restored the whole hard drive, from an entire disk image burned on the 3 CD-R disks - not just a "files and folders" backup restore.

All partitions restored -
    C: IBM Preload (Win Me) and all other programs
    ?: IBM's hidden service partition
    D: Data
    E: Backup

When doing the Archive Verification on the actual disks, TI did ask for me to insert each disk in the proper order - 3, 2, 1 - although I had to insert/reinsert the disks several times before TI stopped showing me the message "Please retry when ready ... etc." and then it continued verifying.

The real "back and forth" disk-feeding frenzy started when I was recovering the hard drive, using these verified CD-R disks.

I hope this answers your question,

Brizvegan

19. Menorcaman

Hi Brizvegan,

Thanks for the confirmation - it never hurts to make sure :D.

By the way, did you try imaging to CD after booting from the rescue CD as suggested in #15 above. If so, what was the outcome?

Regards

20. Brizvegan

Hello, Menorcaman

I haven't yet tried direct imaging to CD after booting from the rescue CD.
    That's the next job!

I have, however, created more entire disk images: one whole image file; and another image on 3 files as before. Saved to external hdd and all verified ok. Then again, copied the 3 files back to hdd and burned to CD-R. Just to see if it wasn't a fluke! More success! :) At the moment, my pc is working just fine.

I don't think I mentioned it before but I haven't done anything with the Secure Zone - I don't think I'll bother (or am I missing out on something?)
    I have the IBM Recovery Program by pressing F11 on my pc which recovers to the factory state (but without 5 years of Windows Updates, programs, etc :p ). It's intact after image recovery - I checked.

I'm really just experimenting with all this to see what works best etc.
    When I get time I will also run the IBM Diagnostic tests again and also DVDinfo (suggested by Noonie) to see if my CD-RW is really working properly and not causing any problems with burning. Could be iffy.

I'll post back and let you know how it all went.

Thanks again to everybody for your help and ideas. Much appreciated.

Brizvegan

21. Menorcaman

Hi Brizvegan,

O.K. No worries.

Good news :).

I and many others don't use the SZ at all (in truth, it isn't really all that secure!!) although a number of users take advantage of its ability to automatically limit the number of images created within it (useful when using TI's scheduling feature). The downside is that once images are created in the SZ they cannot be moved elsewhere (e.g. burnt to CD/DVD) or selectively deleted.

If you do decide to utilise the SZ then, whatever you do, do not activate the associated Startup Recovery Manager (SRM). Doing so will cause TI to modify your HD's Master Boot Record (MBR) in order to enable its own "Press F11 during boot to start the Recovery Manager" feature. This modification to the MBR will prevent you accessing your special (hidden) IBM Recovery partition.

Regards

22. Brizvegan

Hello, Menorcaman

Another update re saving images to CD-Rs (it's a long post :rolleyes: )

Tried imaging direct to CDs after booting from the rescue CD, as per post #15.
    Again, some success.

First of all, I tried CD-RWs. Blank CD-RW Verbatim 4x-12x 80min 700mb

Very soon after beginning, an error message:
    E00040003: Error writing the file
    A possible reason may be poor media quality.
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 1 or press cancel to cancel the operation.​
    Retry Cancel Format​

Pressed FORMAT. TI wouldn't format the blank CD-RW. Kept ejecting disk and getting the same error message.

Gave up on CD-RW. :thumbd:

At this point (same operation), I inserted a TDK Gold CD-R 80min 700mb Multispeed compatible. As used before in successful image creations.

The operation started and continued smoothly to completion.
    TI created 5 CD-R disks asking me to name each volume in the correct order. :thumb:

Immediately (still in "boot CD" environment) did an Archive Verification on the created disks.

Verification went as follows:

Started with Vol 5 .....

TI asked for Vol 4. After a few minutes with Vol 4:
    E00040007: Error opening the file
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 3

Volume 3 continues ....... several minutes, then
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 2

Volume 2 continues ........ as above, then same error message
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 1

Volume 1 continued to completion: "The Archive was successfully checked".
    So, despite these error messages, TI verified in the correct order.

Now, the Recovery operation was more complicated:

Restore Data Wizard

Inserted Disk 5 to start .... a few seconds, then
    W00040011: Please insert the media marked Volume 1
    Press Retry when ready or press Cancel to cancel the operation.​

Inserted Volume 1.
    Immediately, TI asked for Volume 2. Inserted Volume 2. Retry.
    Immediately, asked for Volume 1 again. Inserted Volume 1. Retry.

Volume 1 starts ...... after about 5 mins ...
    Asked for Volume 2 .... starts ..... about 4 mins
    Asked for Volume 3.
    Immediately asked for Volume 2 again. Started ...... 10 secs later ..
    Asked for Volume 3 again. Started ..... 40 secs
    Asked for Volume 5 - yes, 5.
    Immediately asked for Volume 3 again. Started .... continued, then
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 4

Inserted Volume 4. Continued .... then
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 5

Then:
    Please press Retry to continue with Volume 1

Volume 1 ..... 2 seconds: "The data was successfully restored".

Rebooted into Windows.

Again, despite all the swapping disks routine, all seems ok. I don't care how slow the process is, or how much swapping I have to do ... as long as in the end it works! Which it did. .... but is this normal?

Another question: about the CD-RW - do I have to format them before I start the operation with my own burning software, because as I said above TI wouldn't do it at the beginning of the creation process.

Hope you can follow the above ramblings. Hope it may be informative, anyway.

I guess although TI threw up all these "scary" error messages, at the end of the day, it said that "The data was successfully restored" from the created CD-Rs, ... and it has been. (In my case anyway, twice!)

Cheers,
    Brizvegan

PS. Thanks for the tip about the SZ, I'll leave well enough alone and just create the images as above.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  23. Menorcaman

Hi Brizvegan,

I'm fairly certain that you don't have to preformat the CD-RW disks prior to imaging direct from TI (they only need to be blank). However, if they had been previously formatted via UDF packet writing software (e.g. Nero InCD or Roxio Drag-to-Disk) then the disks need to be "normalised" by erasing the UDF file system. For InCD this is done via Windows Explorer, right clicking on the CD/DVD recorder and selecting "InCD Erase". Your own drag-and-drop software may well require something different.

Disk swapping when Verifying or Restoring an image spanned across mulitple CDs is normal, although I have no idea how often and in what order they need to swapped as I only use DVDs (life is too short for all that extra disk shuffling :p).

What isn't normal in my view are those multiple error messages. The only thing I can suggest is that you visit your CD/DVD recorder's web site and see if there is a firmware update for your particular model. Perhaps Acronis Support or other users can come up with some further ideas?

Regards

24. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Brizvegan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.