Cannot boot Windows XP without the Acronis True Image Home 2009 CD being in the Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by w5alf, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w5alf

w5alf Registered Member

Hello all,

I have poked around here a few days and can't beleive I have not seen my issue talked about so I'm gonna run it by you.

I just purchased the Acronis True Image Home 2009 Product and I'm already regretting it. I hope you all can help me out.

I installed the product on my Windows XP machine using typical mode and rebooted after what appeared to be a successful install.

I remove the CD and boot my PC. Windows pops up as if trying to load but then the screen goes black...The disk light quicks blinking and I'm dead in the water.

After several stressful hours I was able to finally get my pc back up but only when I have the acronis install disk in the PC CD rom drive now. I ran a successfull back up...woop woop...after I messed up my boot process. So now when I boot with the CD in the drive I can at least select the Windows option from the menu.

It would appear that the MBR got written over some...ugggggh....

Can anyone tell me how to recover from this? I have read a few procedures on booting from my XP system disk....going into the recovery console and then entering fixmbr and then rebooting...but I'm too scared to try it

Can someone set me straight on this...I'm pretty upset that I tried to get a product to backup my system and innocently enough in the process semi-ruined it.

I would like to be able to get back to being able to boot Windows XP straight from my hard drive.

Many Thanks for someone kind enough to help...

2. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

Do not be scared to use your original WinXP CD. Use the recovery console and FIXMBR. I have had to use it on several occasions and it is flawless. You must know the Administrator password of your XP install to use the Recovery Console, which i presume you do.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You didn't install a Secure Zone and accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager did you? If you did, remove the SZ and SRM and see if that works.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Don't worry about doing the fixmbr/fixboot. It will either fix your problem or won't, it won't make your problem worst.

Also get a "boot corrector" (paragon rescue kit 9.0 express) it's free utility bootcd that will let you check/edit your boot.ini file / drive letters / it will even fix the MBR. It's a good tool to have when restoring XP.

If the fixmbr and "removing the secure zone" doesn't work, you'll need the boot corrector to check your boot.ini file. Your problem is fixable.

5. w5alf

w5alf Registered Member

You all are correct I did not install Secure Zone. I was trying to keep it simple. I guess its too late to do so now. Will try your work arounds when I get the nerve. Gun shy now.

I guess it was not obvious what the consequences where going to be on a "Typical" install

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

w5alf, our forum members gave the correct suggestion to you. Please fix your MBR as it is described here.

Typical installation includes the product itself + Acronis Media Builder component.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

7. Wandering2

Wandering2 Registered Member

There is no reason I can think of that you would want to boot XP or any operating system with another operating system on a cd in the drive. You can boot on the Acronis disk, but into it's own version of Linux, and not into XP.

With XP running again, you can put the Acronis disk in and install it if you wish. The only time you would ever put it in again is to boot on it to recover a trashed system.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.