Cannot boot from boxed set

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DREL, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DREL

DREL Registered Member

According to the TI User Guide:
    "With Rescue Media Builder you can create bootable rescue disks [...]. You might not need this tool if you purchased a boxed product that contains a bootable CD." (Chapter 2.1)
    "If your disk data is totally corrupted and you cannot boot (or if you have not activated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager), load the standalone Acronis True Image Home version from the bootable media, supplied with the retail box or created by you using Rescue Media Builder." (Chapter 2.3)
    Well, I can boot from the rescue disk, but not from the CD from the retail box.
    My CD-ROM drive is set first in the BIOS booting order.
    Any opinions about why the retail box CD doesn't boot as supposed to?

Thanks,

DREL

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

DREL,

I have no idea why the boxed CD doesn't boot if the Rescue CD that you created with the Create Bootable Rescue Media tool does.

But I wouldn't be concerned about that. My concern would be to see (from Help>About) what build I did receive with the box - they usually come well outdated. If the build you installed is of a lower number than 3677 (the current one), you should register with Acronis, download the latest build and install that, after uninstalling the old one first. Then you should create a new Rescue CD from the new TI build, making the one that doesn't boot obsolete anyway.

Boot from the (new) Rescue CD and verify that all your drives are seen from the rescue environment, especially the external ones, if any.

3. DREL

DREL Registered Member

bVolk,

Thank you for your advice. In retrospect, it is clear that I should have done that. Actually, I did register and update the program but, unfortunately, being a newbie with TI, I used it under Windows. Only when the Acronis booter landed me in an infinite loop, I resorted to the boxed CD, believing that it can be used as a bootable rescue disk as stated in the Manual (and also on the CD itself). It did not load, and without being able to run Windows, I couldn't prepare a rescue disk, either. It took me almost a day to put back the system in order. I did not appreciate it.

I certainly learned my lessons but the experience left me with an unpleasant aftertaste: if I cannot trust the manual and cannot trust the installation CD, how much I can trust the product itself... (On the other hand, the testimonies posted on the 'How well does Acronis TI actually work?' thread are quite reassuring). For this reason alone it would still be educational to learn why the disk did not load: whether it is a known issue or simply a problem with my setup.

I run Windows XP Pro SP2 on an Intel D915GAV mobo / Dual P4 / BIOS 0482 build / 4 Seagate Barracuda SATA 120G attached directly to the mobo / SONY DVD-RW / SONY CD-RW / 7 slot card reader

The only thing that is potentially suspicious about my system is that, according to the Disk Manager, two of my SATA drives are Secondary Masters and the other two are Secondary Slaves. Acronis Disk Director 10.0 shows two disks as 0(0) both, the other two both 1(1). Which is rather strange for SATA drives...

DREL

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DREL,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that there was a consignment of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home boxes which had a non-bootable installation CDs. So, most likely, your installation CD does not boot because of this fact. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Please also note that the Bootable Rescue CD is not hardware dependent and therefore can be created on any other computer. If the system crash has occurred, but you do not have a Bootable Rescue CD for some reason (e.g. CD is lost or physically corrupted) you can temporarily install Acronis True Image 9.0 Home on any other machine, create a new Bootable Rescue CD then boot the computer having the issue from this CD and restore the beforehand created backup.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

We also recommend that you take a look at the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis Public Knowledge Base and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.