CANNOT BOOT - failed to read from sector

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cseric, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cseric

cseric Registered Member

hi

my hard drive was partitioned to two drives.
    i recently used acronis disk director to resize and to create more partitions.
    I then installed the os selector.
    but now i cannot boot up.
    i started my computer, and the os selector loads up.
    it says prossessing, please wait..
    then, the error message comes up saying, failed to read from sector # of hard drive 1. If i chose to ignore, more errors just kept coming up with different sector numbers.
    Now i cannot even get into windows xp.
    Is there a way to fix this, or just to uninstall the os selector?
    thanks

2. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

I too had similar problems with OS selector, and, after using my Windows XP SP2 CD's repair console to fix the MBR and boot.ini, I eventually tired of constantly restarting OS Selector and finding workarounds to it on my system, and uninstalled it. Look at post # 3 in this thread, which details what one user did to repair his boot files with Windows XP.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=113631&highlight=failed+read+sector

As with some other Acronis products, if it works on your system, and recognizes your hard drives, configuration, etc, then it may work for you. If not, finding the solution can take a long time, and may, in the end, not be worth the hassle. I think an UNDO option would be a wise addition to any program that rewrites our boot files, so that, in these cases where it doesn't work as designed, we can at least return to our starting point, and boot Windows.

Some hard drives, like SATA HDs, and external USB devices, seem to confuse OS Selector and True Image Boot Mode.

Here's an earlier post with some additional info on a similar situation:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=834805#post834805

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.