Cannot backup directly to DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Paul Nutt, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Nutt

Paul Nutt Registered Member

Hi.

I'm trying to backup a particular partition directly to a DVD+RW using TI trial version 10.0 (4,942) on Vista Ultimate. The burner is a SATA Samsung WriteMaster (SH-S183L).

I did a quick search of this forum and didn't see any solutions. I'm new to TI but a long time image creator/burner. I am specifically looking to backup directly to a DVD for this particular partition and understand the risks. This is a duplicate backup for convenience and portability... Not my primary backup strategy.

The message I receive is: E00040004: Disk is full.

Neither the Retry or Format options are sucessfull and the same message returns. I've also "erased" the disk with Vista but no luck.

Any help is appreciated and I'll keep searching. TIA!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If this is a duplicate backup strategy, then if you don't find a solution, just burn the primary backup files to the dvd.

3. Paul Nutt

Sorry to not be clearer. I shouldn't try to keep my posts so short. :)

Thank you for the suggestion, but part of my evaluation of TI is to place my images in the Acronis Secure Zone on a RAID 1 array, so the "primary" isn't readily available (if at all). I do want the convenience of not performing the "2 step" process that I've done for years.

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but if writing directly to a DVD isn't possible it doesn't speak well of the product.

PowerQuest DriveImage was a good product in the day, but I eventually needed RAID and bought Ghost 10 in a moment of deeply discounted weakness at Fry's. I would like to make a clean break from Symantec and I'm not sure I trust the imaging software built into Vista. ;)

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Ah ... you're using Vista. I think Vista creates a new set of problems for True Image in spite of the latest version's claimed compatibility. Version 10 does, indeed, write directly to DVD media. But while this seems like a wonderful idea, it is slower than writing to a hard drive. And when you have to restore and if your Image spans 4 or more dvd discs, you'll be swapping your dvds in and out in a seemingly endless process. Another user here gave it a good name - the dvd shuffle. :D
    Since you already are familiar with the 2-step process, rather than burn to dvd, I would keep two hard drives with identical backups, instead of one set on a hard drive and another set on dvds. Plus you can start a Backup to another hard drive and leave the system to complete the backup, whereas, with dvds you have to sit there in order to feed in the next blank.

5. Paul Nutt

Good advice. Thx.

Any takers out there to get the DVD burning working? If you are at work it could be considered "work avoidance" and I highly recommend it. :D

6. Paul Nutt

Anyone? Your knowledge will be forever displayed in this forum... :D

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paul Nutt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that investigation of this issue will require some additional information. Could you please do the following?

Please create cdrecord.log file the way described in this previous post of mine. Note that under Windows Vista the cdrecord.log file will be created in \ProgramData\Acronis\DebugLogs folder.

in addition, please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and also the log file from Acronis True Image that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. randman

randman Registered Member

What I do is backup to an external firewire drive (which also has a USB in case I need to restore to another PC w/o firewire). Then, I have a scheduled job which calls Microsoft's free synctoy to copy the files from my external drive to a NAS (Gigabit LinkStation). I suppose I can go to NAS directly, but I like using an external firewire drive as my primary backup in case I need to restore from it (much faster than NAS). Then, I use NAS as a secondary backup in case something drastically goes wrong with my PC and its external drive. Of course, I'm assuming my whole house doesn't blow up... just the room where my PC and its external drive are :)

Sorry Paul, we still didn't answer your question about how to go to DVD directly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.