Cannot access image on internal drive from boot cd

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mitchelt, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchelt

mitchelt Registered Member

Hi:

I have 2 SATA drives in my Windows Vista 32bit PC. I created an image file file on my D: Drive and booted from the Boot CD that I created with Drive Backup 9 Personal Edition. The system booted fine from the CD but I was not able to browse my internal drives for the image file, the only drive that came up was my external USB drive?

Did I do something wrong when creating the Boot CD?

Thanks!

Mitch

2. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

I am certainly NO EXPERT by any means, but, I will ask the question.

There are two bootable media schemes. One is based on WinPE, the other is a Linux based bootable media.

Which one did you try? Have you tried both?

o_O

3. mitchelt

GrumpyAeroGuy:

According to the popup window it says that I can create a Linux/DOS Recovercy CD and alternatively a WinPE based one depending on the edition.

As far as I can tell I can only create a Linux/DOS one unless I am missing something?

Mitch

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

5. mitchelt

SIW2:

Thanks but I do not see anything like that when I boot from the Boot CD. What I see looks like an old dos program interface.

I am going to download the Pro. Version that makes a WinPE Boot CD to see if that helps. It's on sale for the same price and the Personal Version so what the heck.

Mitch

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi , you need to select Normal Mode from the first main interface - looks like you selected Safe Mode.

PARNormalmode2009-10-12_185325.jpg

7. mitchelt

SIW2:

I promise...I did select the Normal Mode.

I even installed the Pro Version and created a new boot cd and the same thing happened. I did not see an option to create the WinPE boot CD...is this a hidden option?

Thanks for helping!!

Mitch

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Very unusual you can't do it with the Linux cd. The WinPE cd has more hardware support.

If you bought the product already ( not a trial) Then I believe it is a separate .iso file download.

If you don't already have it, visit the My Account section after logging in here:

http://www.paragon-software.com/login

Go to Registered products, or Downloads and you should be able to get it from there.

9. mitchelt

I am running the demo so I cannot download that.

I really wanted to use this software but I feel I may have to go with with Acronis because I downloaded thier demo and was able to create the boot cd and view all my hard drives with no problem.

Thank you very much for trying to help.

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Well, if the ONLY criteria for you is to see all of your drives immediately, then go with Acronis. I am positive it is a choice you will regret very soon if you need to do ANYTHING but see drives. I speak from experience on that issue.

I can boot from either WinPE or Linux CD and see all drives, hidden, or not. I suspect this is an issue that can be resolved for you shortly as soon as Paragon folks chime in.

Don't make a choice driven by instant gratification.

11. mitchelt

GrumpyAeroGuy:

You are correct...I will wait a few days and see if someone from Paragon chimes in.

It's not about instant gratification...I just don't want to wait too long because I just did a fresh install of my PC including main software because of a bad crash and now have everything loaded and patched perfectly.

Sure wish I had an image before my crash...would have made my life a lot easier.

Mitch

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes , you could hang on for the Paragon staff - they are very helpful ( not sure you will get that kind of help elsewhere).

There will likely be someone here tomorrow.

BTW, 7 system recovery discs now available for download - much better than the Vista ones - work great on Vista:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  13. mitchelt

OK...will wait. Sure wish they keep the special on the PRO version for a few more days.

Thanks for the help.

Mitch

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I think you will be fine with that.

I really would d/l one of those 7 recovery discs - they are excellent.

15. mitchelt

SIW2 and GrumpyAeroGuy:

First let me say thanks to both of you for all your help.

Paragon emailed me and said I need to select SAFE MODE from the bootcd because sometimes SATA drives are not recognized.

I went ahead and purchased Drive Backup 9.0 Professional seeing that it's on sale and the same price as the Personal Edition.

I also installed the WinPE based Recovery CD Image, created the boot cd and was able to access all the drives.

So...everything is now good in my world. :D

Thanks.

Mitch

16. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

They emailed you ?

How did you contact them to get them to do that - unless they saw this thread?

Just shows that the support is good.

17. mitchelt

I emailed the support link. I even mentioned i was running the demo...pretty cool they responded.

18. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, that is good support.

Glad it all worked out for you.

19. dlbmusic

dlbmusic Registered Member

I have the same problem here after upgrading my MB, booting from a CD (purchased copy of 8.51), the SATA drive is not shown. Booting into the CD's safe mode fixed it.

The SATA drive shown on the old MB, strange it does not now. All the RAIDs are disabled too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  20. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Strange indeed, got to be something to do with the drivers. At least Safe Mode works fine for you.:)

21. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hi dlbmusic,

First, thank you SIW2 and GrumpyAeroGuy for all the great support. We usually have our hands here full in office with calls, email supports, and constant testings. Any pressing manner, feel free to contact us directly during our office hours 7am-5pm Pacific Time to reach a technician immediately.

1-888-347-5462 option 3, option 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.