Cannot access file folder

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nelstradamus, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelstradamus

Nelstradamus Registered Member

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem.

I am using TI Version 8.0 Trial (build 791), Running on Microsoft XP Home with SP2.

My Main drive is partitioned into drives C: and D:, I made an image of those drives and put on my USB 2.0 200GB drive. I ran the check image on the image file and there was no problem of corruption.

My problem is this: Although it appears to have made an image of the drives, when I go into Explore Image (it will create extra drives I: and J: which represent the C: and D: drives), in the folder Documents and Settings I cannot access my folder named Todd. Every single other user folder IS accessible except mine! If I try to open the folder Todd it says "I:\Documents and Settings\Todd is not accessible. Access is denied"

This is a BIG problem, this is the most important part to backup, containing all of my Documents (i.e. Word Docs, Excel Files, and thousands of digital pictures).

Is this data recoverable or is it lost in la la land forever? Why would every single folder be accessible except the very one I needo_O??

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm dying here.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nelstradamus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

This problem is related with the permissions you have. The data is not lost but you may be unable to access private files under some accounts. Please try to log in as administrator and access the files once again. If this doesn't help please send a letter with the description of the situation to support@acronis.com. We will help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Nelstradamus

You were correct...The problem is a permissions issue, however I AM the only user of this computer (other than a Guest account) therefore I am the Administrator yet I cannot open, read, edit, or do anything with any of MY data in that ONE very folder named Todd. All other folders and files that I could care less about are accessible. All I get is access denied!!!!!

I used TI to do a backup of my entire HD and then reloaded the entire Operating System expecting to just transfer my data right back into place. Now my data is being held HOSTAGE on my own drive and I can't touch it. :mad:

I have combed the internet for information on how to access and change the ownership of my files but have had zero luck. My files sit on my drive and all I can do is look at the names of each one of them. Not exactly what I had in mind when using your product.

I can't be the ONLY one that has ever had this problem, I'm sure people do what I've done all the time. DO YOU HAVE A SOLUTION to grant me access to my data??

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Nels

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. tonedog

tonedog Registered Member

Bump.

I'm having the exact same issue as Nels.

I used TI 7.0 to create a backup, did a clean installed of XP Pro, and now I can't access most of the folders in the backup due to permissions.

"G:\Tony\Tony's Documents is not accessible. Access is denied" :mad:

When I login as Administrator and try to take ownership of these directories (as directed MS KB 308421) I get another error message stating:

"You only have permission to view the current owner on Tony."

Nels, how did you resolve your situation?

5. Nelstradamus

This turns out to be a pretty common and easily fixed problem.

Found this in the FAQ: http://www2.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#13

My computer is running Windows XP. I created an image archive of my hard disk and mounted the image archive on another computer. When I try to explore folders on the mounted logical drive, I get "Access Denied" message. How can I overcome this?

The most common reason why you might run into this error message, even if you are using a computer with the same user name, is that the user profile and permissions could be different from those on your original system. Different permissions and profiles might make you unable to view certain files and/or folders. The only workaround is to restore the image archive (at least the necessary partition) and take ownership over the files and/or folders you need in your new profile and permissions. You then will be able to access, view and change these files and/or folders.

Microsoft provides instructions on how to perform this task. You can find them in Microsoft Knowlegde Base — article 308421 ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421 )

This should take care of your problems.

-Nels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.