Cannot access bank account

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jnc33, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnc33

jnc33 Registered Member

Ever since I installed the spyware blaster I cannot access my bank acct info and the windows update will no longer work correctly. I spoke to a tech support person for the bank webpage and they saifd the active x is important to make the page work. I am assuming the same is true with microsoft. How can I get it to work. I tried the snapshot and uninstalling and looking for registry keys and nothing has worked. Unfortunatley this was installed on dec 27th and i have an xp restore for the 29th only. I am in quite a frustrated place right now as once again i managed to hose my computer while thinking i was making it safer. Please help.

thanks!!! o_O

2. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi jnc33,

To check and see if SpywareBlaster is blocking your access to your account, run the program, click on Deselect All, then click Remove Protection for Unchecked Items. Then try to access your bank account info.

Uninstalling SpywareBlaster without going through that procedure, first, does not remove the protection.

Now having said all that, I do not believe that is going to turn out to be your problem, but go ahead and try it first. No matter which way it turns out, please post back in this same thread and someone will work with you to get the problem solved. Hope that helps.

3. jnc33

jnc33 Registered Member

Definatley tried to unblock all of that stuff and it didnt work. I dont know what else could be messing up my bank account and my windows update. Both websites use active x controls. My wifes computer has no issues and does not have this software installed.
    It happens in IE or netscape. I have turned firewalls off and set my browser security to its lowest, emptied caches and cleared cookies and history. I am not happy that there isnt a simple way to uninstall the product completley. Even if it isnt the products fault it would be nice to know for sure. so yeah Im confused.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi jnc33,

If you removed all the protection, then it is not SpywareBlaster blocking you.
    Try adding those sites to your trusted zone in IE.

Regards,

Pieter

5. jnc33

jnc33 Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions I appreciate the help. unfortunaltey even adding it to a trusted sight did not work. I have never had something like this happen before. I am activley looking for other possible problems but still the spyware blaster is my main suspect. Simply because it stops hostile active x scripts. Maybe somehow it sees my bank access as hostile? I dont understand the windows update thing though. I would assume others would have that problem also and complain. So maybe it is just me. The one thing I didnt mention is I tried to uninstall the program before doing the unprotecting thing. then I re installed it and unchecked the protection.
    Could that be screwing it up? I am about 5 min from formatting the drive lol.

6. Vietnam Vet

Hi jnc33,

Uninstalling with the protection still in place would not have caused you a problem. Don't worry about that.

What is the windows update site actually doing? What happens when you try to access the site?

7. jnc33

jnc33 Registered Member

this is what happens when I click check for updates..

Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page
    About Windows Update

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

There's some interesting information on the Windows Update problem at this site:

http://updatexp.com/0x800A138F.html

The first thing is a suggestion to look in the windows update log file on your system... It contains more details about the exact nature of the problem.

Also on that webpage... Step 11 has been a very common problem for people since Microsoft sent pieces of the update site out to Akamai. (Especially look in the Hosts file for any occurrences of either "microsoft" or "akamai".)

Finally, just to make sure the SpywareBlaster protections are all really off: When you run SpywareBlaster are all the entries listed as "unchecked" and "in bold red text"? If so, that shows that you've fully disabled SpywareBlaster and it no longer is effecting your system at all.

See this image showing the clearing of SpywareBlaster's protections (if needed):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachments/spywareblaster-disable-all.gif

9. jnc33

jnc33 Registered Member

I have to completely thank you for all of your help and you were 100% correct when you said spyware blaster was not the problem. i took your advice and researched the windows update error further and the webiste gave me a few possible solutions. One of which was to check your system date...If it is off by more then 100 days it will not work correctly. Wouldnt you know it was off by a whole year!!!
    I fixed it and bam the windows update works and so does my bank page!!! Again I sincerly thank you for all of your help. What a stupid thing to have hose up my computer. And just think I was seriously contemplating reinstalling all of my software!!!

10. Vietnam Vet

Hi,

Very glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.