Canada's New Anti-Terror Bill

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by driekus, Feb 1, 2015.

1. driekus

driekus Registered Member

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/31/canadas-new-anti-terror-bill-c-51-concerns-privacy-commissioner

Canada introduced a new anti-terror bill c-51 that I think is a little troubling. The problem is not that it is targeting terrorists but rather the vagueness of the bill.

"Part 4 amends the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act to permit the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to take, within and outside Canada measure to reduce threats to the security of Canada, including measures that are authorized by the Federal Court."

How do you define something as a threat to the security of Canada and who is providing oversight to CSIS when they determine if it is a threat.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

This is opportunistic FUD. Or rather, the fog of a war that's just immanent. Dear Friends, in these troubled times, when we can't tell the [foo] from the [bar], don't we need someone who can turn on a little stopping power?

3. driekus

The power of fear is something politicians are too adept at wielding. Canada has millions of people shortening their lives from obesity, poverty and smoking yet our solution is to devote and waste massive resources to terrorism which does not really kill that many people. Terrorism is tragic but there are far greater tragedies that I would rather my money spent on. Imagine what billions of dollars, correctly used, could do to help not only Canada but also the rest of the world

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

canada has an intelligence service? :argh:

5. driekus

Yup they are the world leaders in dog sled espionage :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.