Can you Torify instant messaging and irc?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mockison500, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mockison500

mockison500 Registered Member

Can you use Tor with instant messaging and irc?

In the Torifyhowto they give instructions for mIRC and Gaim and on the homepage it says that it works for irc and IM. So I am assuming that I can Torify appz such as mIRC and AIM. I have set these two programs up with Tor via sockscap because of all the talk about dns leaking. The main question I have is about the [warn] messeges in Tor, I don't get one when connecting to a irc server only when I recieve a file? With aol I get [warn] messages too. Is it possible to Torify these appz with file sharing and everything. If I run these programs through sockscap and resolve dns remotely should I still worry about the [warn] messages in Tor? Is ther any way to test from inside either program to see if they leak?
    If someone could help me out I would really appreciat it, I have had many places tell me many different things.
    My goal in the end would be to use mIRC and AIM completely Torified and not worry about dns leaking. (Obviously the point to all of these is to be anon.)If everytime I get a [warn] message it's indeed leaking, what would be the point of all of this?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  2. mockison500

mockison500 Registered Member

Somone must know more about this,
    Please help me out ~

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i found the following in the faq/howto, maybe it can help:

and this:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.