Can You Restore A PBR From A Backup Using ATI 2009???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HTCStuey, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTCStuey

HTCStuey Registered Member

As per https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=249187 which perhaps should go in this forum but I think I know what to do now...

Basically (ummm... I think...):

-Installed Windows 7 which has overwritten the Windows XP PBR
    -Now points to the bootmgr Windows 7 has placed in the XP partition
    -Need to correct to point back to ntldr can this be done from a back up?
    -Alternatively can I just edit the bootmgr to load straight into XP and reinstall Windows 7 (this time without f***ing it up!)?

Please help? lol

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

HTCStuey:

Yes, if you have an image of your XP partition that was made before installing Windows 7 then you can restore it. The PBR will be restored along with the rest of the partition, so it should then boot directly to ntldr. Of course, this will also restore the XP partition contents to the date of the backup, so save any recently-changed files to external storage before restoring the image.

Another way to do this that does not require restoring the whole partition is to use a tool that is on a Vista or Windows 7 DVD to re-write the PBR to the older format. After booting, choose to Repair your PC, but don't choose automatic repair. Instead, boot to a command prompt.

Determine the drive letter of your XP partition in the recovery environment (it may differ from the drive letter when running XP). Then use the following command:
    Code:
    bootsect /nt52 X:
    Replace X: by the drive letter of the XP partition. Then the partition should boot to ntldr instead of bootmgr.

3. HTCStuey

That's brilliant! I didn't even need the disk as I had been into the repair screen from the boot menu earlier and noticed the command line is available there already.

I did have a problem as I didn't know how to find the drive letters for the XP/7 drives, but was able to get around by just using SYS instead as per:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744577(WS.10).aspx

Now it just boots straight into XP and 7 is lost, but will reinstall properly tomorrow now!

4. HTCStuey

Thanks again!

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

You're welcome. Those little command-line tools are extremely useful if you know what to do with them...

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HTCStuey,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image Home 2009

At the moment, the following Acronis products can be installed on Windows 7:

• Acronis True Image Home 2010 Beta
    • Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Family

However, the correct operation is not guaranteed since Windows 7 is still in the development stage. We are planning to release updates for our current products to fully support Microsoft Windows 7 as it becomes available.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.