Can you open encrypted files for Veracrypt on Linux and Windows 10?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by DesuMaiden, Sep 16, 2018.

1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Let's say I encrypted a file with Veracrypt on a Linux OS, can I open that file with Veracrypt on a Windows 10 OS? Or vice versa? That is all I want to know. I am asking because I am about to transfer some sensitive files from my Linux OS--that have been encrypted by Veracrypt--onto my Windows 10 OS, and I want to be able open the files I encrypted with Veracrypt on Linux, on Windows with Veracrypt too. Can this be done?

2. fl00dz

fl00dz Registered Member

Shouldn't be an issue. Based off of research, you should be able to open any Veracrypt file or container from any OS that is running Veracrypt. Here is what I found on their FAQ. You can verify this by creating a sample encrypted file and see if it opens. It should be fine though.

Will I be able to mount my VeraCrypt volume (container) on any computer?
    Yes, VeraCrypt volumes are independent of the operating system. You will be able to mount your VeraCrypt volume on any computer on which you can run VeraCrypt (see also the question 'Can I use VeraCrypt on Windows if I do not have administrator privileges?').

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.