can you help me setup Thunderbird, please?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have used Thunderbird for a while now, but since my last reinstall it has just been sitting in my quick launch and not working. i have set it up a few times in the past with hardly any problems, but this time it just wont work. i keep on getting timeouts. i even found an old Thunderbird profile saved to disk i'd used for an old reinstall, the install worked back then, but it doesn't now o_O

if i post screenshots and/or explain how i have set it up can anyone go through it with me?

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've got it up and running Ice. Has been for a couple of months. I just let it grab my settings from OE (which I used previously). Added only one extension- contacts sidebar....
    I'll help if I can... :doubt:

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi Brad thanks, i have to sort out Opera's cookies as well it keeps logging me out. i'll sort Opera out how i need it after this.

i'm going to redownload TB now, then do a clean reinstall, i have been playing around with it's newsreader, but i prefer Xnews for newsreading. so that will take me awhile, then i'll try and explain what i have been doing.

4. bigbuck

Cheers! ;)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry for being so slow to reply, i was having trouble facing up to it it was driving me MAD :mad: , i really appreciate the help, thanks again Brad :cool:

i have just found out the problem, i had been setting it up correctly after all. i just turned on XP's FW and turned off Kerio and TB is working, i'm so happy *puppy*

i think i might go over to the FW section and get told off by BZ :p

THANKS BRAD :cool: :) :cool:

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm planning to install Thunderbird too.
    According my readings Thunderbird seems to be alot better than the MS Outlook Express/2000.

7. ice60

ice60 Guest

the default settings are more secure, it's easy to use, has a good spam filter and has a nice interface

8. bigbuck

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ice60 and bigbuck,
    Thanks for the usefull tips !!!
    I have to install the latest version of ZA Free anyway, so I will do it together with Thunderbird.
    I'm very disappointed in MS.
    First I had to replace my MSIE with Firefox, not only because Firefox is safer but also because Firefox is alot more comfortable.
    Now I have to replace my Outlook with Thunderbird, because it's highly recommended on security websites.
    Another reason for the change is that I use MS/Giant SpamInspector as spam filter in Outlook 2000, but I don't hear anything about SpamInspector.
    I couldn't even find SpamInspector at the website of Microsoft.
    SpamInspector is still working fine, but I assume that MS gave up on Giant SpamInspector.
    So I need another spam filter as well and Thunderbird has one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.