can you help me setup Thunderbird, please?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have used Thunderbird for a while now, but since my last reinstall it has just been sitting in my quick launch and not working. i have set it up a few times in the past with hardly any problems, but this time it just wont work. i keep on getting timeouts. i even found an old Thunderbird profile saved to disk i'd used for an old reinstall, the install worked back then, but it doesn't now o_O

if i post screenshots and/or explain how i have set it up can anyone go through it with me?

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've got it up and running Ice. Has been for a couple of months. I just let it grab my settings from OE (which I used previously). Added only one extension- contacts sidebar....
    I'll help if I can... :doubt:

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi Brad thanks, i have to sort out Opera's cookies as well it keeps logging me out. i'll sort Opera out how i need it after this.

i'm going to redownload TB now, then do a clean reinstall, i have been playing around with it's newsreader, but i prefer Xnews for newsreading. so that will take me awhile, then i'll try and explain what i have been doing.

4. bigbuck

Cheers! ;)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry for being so slow to reply, i was having trouble facing up to it it was driving me MAD :mad: , i really appreciate the help, thanks again Brad :cool:

i have just found out the problem, i had been setting it up correctly after all. i just turned on XP's FW and turned off Kerio and TB is working, i'm so happy *puppy*

i think i might go over to the FW section and get told off by BZ :p

THANKS BRAD :cool: :) :cool:

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm planning to install Thunderbird too.
    According my readings Thunderbird seems to be alot better than the MS Outlook Express/2000.

7. ice60

ice60 Guest

the default settings are more secure, it's easy to use, has a good spam filter and has a nice interface

8. bigbuck

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ice60 and bigbuck,
    Thanks for the usefull tips !!!
    I have to install the latest version of ZA Free anyway, so I will do it together with Thunderbird.
    I'm very disappointed in MS.
    First I had to replace my MSIE with Firefox, not only because Firefox is safer but also because Firefox is alot more comfortable.
    Now I have to replace my Outlook with Thunderbird, because it's highly recommended on security websites.
    Another reason for the change is that I use MS/Giant SpamInspector as spam filter in Outlook 2000, but I don't hear anything about SpamInspector.
    I couldn't even find SpamInspector at the website of Microsoft.
    SpamInspector is still working fine, but I assume that MS gave up on Giant SpamInspector.
    So I need another spam filter as well and Thunderbird has one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.