Can writing an image corrupt the target network drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jtla, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtla

jtla Registered Member

We have a server with a backup sata hard drive in a removeable enclosure. On two different occassions now, after we create an acronis image of the c drives from our 2 workstations to the server's backup drive (we write the image files directly to the network drive), the target hard drive on the server containing the image files slowly fails over the course of 2 weeks. The SMART function on the drive reports too many bad sectors. This happened for the first time about a month ago, and we replaced the target hard drive, and it just happened again yesterday. The first time we were writing two image files (1 each from two computers) to that same network drive simultaneously. The second time though we were careful to just do 1 at a time in case writing two at a time caused damage to the drive.

I don't know if this is a problem that acronis is causing when writing the image files to the network drive, or if we were unlucky and got two defective drives in a row. The drives are still under warranty and it was only backup data so no permanent harm done, but I certainly need to know if this is something that acronis can cause so that I can find an alternative target for our acronis images and avoid ruining more hard drives.

Any advice/insight into this would be appreciated.

Acronis true image version 8

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I lack the imagination to see how True Image could be causing this. All the writing the the drive is controlled by the operating system on the server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.