Can Vista'a Firewall block mySpace?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paradyne, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradyne

Paradyne Registered Member

Can Vista'a firewall block sites like mySpace, Facebook or other social networks?
    I always relied on my router's filtering which worked ok. But this is a new laptop for a kid going to college. She'll be using either the schools ISP or an available hot spot. Host files don't work because she just uses a proxy. Any suggestions?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Vista's firewall does not offer site filtering so can't be used to block individual sites. For that matter, any filtering software running on a computer can be bypassed by a knowledgable user so it shouldn't be considered a reliable solution.

In this case, a simpler approach may be to discuss appropriate usage and the potential dangers of divulging too much personal information with your daughter. If you are trusting her with a laptop, you presumably consider her to be responsible and mature, so discussing issues like online security and privacy (in the case of MySpace, there is clearly a reason for Rupert Murdoch spending $580m for it) may help in developing a sense of caution, whereas a more heavy-handed approach could encourage online rebellion.

3. NoHolyGrail

NoHolyGrail Registered Member

I second Paranoid2000's advice.

If your daughter wants to use Myspace, there is no way you can stop her. She will either figure out how to undo your tampering, or she will have a friend with a better understanding of computers who can undo your tampering. Or even more simply, she will just log in from her roommate's computer, or a campus computer lab.

The responsible thing for you to do is talk to her about your concerns.

4. Paradyne

In a perfect world, I guess kids listen to their parents and obey every rule.
    Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world.

I found the tool needed to restrict social networking sites and alot more.
    It was actually right under my nose and it looks promising.
    It's Vista's Parental Controls. Here's some of the things it can do:

Controls the time and duration of a child’s access to the computer.
    Controls the programs a child can execute.
    Controls the type of games a child can play based on title, ratings etc.
    Restricts the websites that children can visit.
    Restricts the child from downloading files.
    Logs every action the child does on the computer (Web browsing, login/logout, applications used, games played, email’s sent/received, Instant Messages etc… and what type of media the child has viewed)

All of this may not work but it should certainly make (mySpace) less convenient.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I thought you said she was going to collegeo_O

6. Paradyne

That's correct. She's 17 and will start college this month.
    She graduated a year early from high school.
    No matter what her age is, she will always be my child.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Unless you are prepared to take the time to research and include every CGI-proxy, anonymising service and translation service (Google, Babelfish, Systran, etc), the website restriction will be easy to bypass.

If you are that concerned about online abuse, then don't provide a computer at all, because ultimately she could just run Linux via a boot CD or memory stick to get around any OS-based restrictions.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I understand!!! My girls 14 & 16... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: My only option is to try to educate them... o_O o_O o_O So I understand your frustration and wish you luck... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.