Can True Image Home 11 Synchronize?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rick1486, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick1486

Rick1486 Registered Member

Hi, as per the thread title really.

I've got TI 11 but can't find any way to make it just synchronize my files rather than doing a full/incremental etc. backup.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this or if there are any plans in the pipeline to include this feature in an update?

Otherwise any recommendations?

Cheers
    Rick

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI is a backup program and doesn't do file synchronization. I have no idea what Acronis' plans are for the future versions.

I use Syncback which does synchronization but I use it to backup my data files in their native format rather than have them stuffed into a proprietary container file. Syncback has a free version; there are other ones as well.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rick1486 and seekforever,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup software

seekforever is correct and this feature is not included in Acronis True Image 11 Home .

Probably the future versions of Acronis products will support this feature. I'm sorry but we have a strict company policy that prohibits me from discussing any future products/company finances.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

4. Rick1486

Thanks seekforever.

Thanks Acronis support but I have to say that in some ways I feel cheated - please don't be offended but I mistakenly thought that TI 11 was a comprehensive backup program which would also offer the (what I believed was a natural option in that kind of software) synchronization option. Obviously I now know I was wrong, although I am very disappointed at having spent money on something which isn't all I thought it would be. This is especially disappointing having trawled the threads and seeing that there are other programs out there which do both backup and synchronization.

Cheers
    Rick

5. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

It is my understanding that Acronis has a 30 day refund poolicy.

Might that help you...?

All the best,

Kenneth

6. Schikitar

Schikitar Registered Member

Microsoft's SyncToy is very good (and free)!

7. Rick1486

Thanks gang I'll go to Acronis' website and see if I can get my money back.

So apart from synctoy has anyone got any particular recommendations for a good backup and sync program?

Cheers
    Rick

p.s. I just went to Acronis' site but there doesn't appear to be a section whereby I can claim a refund so I've had to try my luck by submitting a comment via their support section. Is this right does anyone know or is there another procedure which has to be followed?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. seekforever

This is likely getting outside the bounds of this board since this is not a TI support question but:

Like I said, I use SyncBack for backing up data files and it does synchronization. I tried Synctoy a while back and it had problems I don't remember but a Google search revealed that lots of other people had problems at the time.

I think you should be more specific on just what you want to backup. I use SyncBack for data files but for OS/Apps backups it is an image made by TI.

9. Rick1486

Hi and thanks very much.

Essentially I want to backup emails (outlook & its' settings etc), photographs, videos, documents and have the synchronization facility essentially so I can set and forget so to speak.

As for apps/os not really necessary, although there are some downloaded programs which I'd like to keep backed up on my nas as well as on dvd/cd.

Does this affect anyone's advice at all?

Cheers
    Rick

10. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

One problem with Synctoy it creates a Synctoy setup folder in My Documents. The files names look like registry keys Synctoy uses to store the Synctoy profiles settings. Just deleted this folder and it was 208 mb.

That is too large for the My Documents folder. Especially when backing up your C drive with True Image or other backup program.

Daniel

11. InvGrp

InvGrp Registered Member

I 2nd using syncbackSE....its a great program (be sure you have your setting set correctly or you might lose your data).

I use the paid version ($30) and sync to other drives and other computers.

I just bought TI-11 for images.

IMHO backing your data is very important but being able to restore your drive is just as important (I've wiped my drive and did full install way too many times).

Just my 2 cents.

Bruce

12. appster

appster Registered Member

Fwiw, most sync programs (including those mentioned above) will not sync Outlook's pst files! However, there are a few specialized sync programs (such as SyncPST) that do address this need.

13. InvGrp

InvGrp Registered Member

I really can't comment on the sync of Outlook/Outlook Express as I dropped those emails program a long time ago.

I use intellect and it does everything I need in email and a bit more.

http://www.chaossoftware.com/intellect.asp

Bruce

P.S. I never liked Outlook/Outlook Express because if I understand it correctly it hold all emails in one large file whereas intellect holds individual emails.

14. Rick1486

Thanks gang, just to keep you in the loop, I received an email from Acronis saying that (as I insisted on a refund rather than exchange product) they were passing my case to a sales expert and it may be a while before I hear from them - but why a sales expert for a refund, that's what I want to know?!

Rick

p.s. InvGrp what exactly do I need to watch out for in syncback se? I've downloaded the 30 day trial and did a test backup of my .pst outlook file and that seemed to work alright. I then changed it to synchronize setting and let it run last night, checked it this morning and it had done the sync run and the file was successfully stored on my nas drive. I appreciate all the suggestions gang so keep 'em coming.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  15. seekforever

You have to watch out for problems if there is no version control.

If you backup to a device and then you indeed have a backup. Now consider if your file gets screwed up for whatever reason, the screwed up file is now copied to the backup location. A couple of days later you realize your file is bad, you go to the backup and realize that the file is the same.

With the paid version of SyncBack you can setup versions, a little weird but it does them. I have often wondered why Windows has never implemented versions in the file system especially with the large drives now available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.