CAn TI9 restore an image toa blank hard disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brock, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brock

brock Registered Member

I've already mentioned this problem in another thread ( SATA drives not recognized) but have since found a workaround and need to know if this is how Acronis TI9 is meant to work.

when booting from TI9 boot CD/DVD (build 3887) on a PC with a blank disk, it will not display any attached disks or network resources as a restore image source, if I format the blank disk it will show the network resources and drives - is this right?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

It is not necessary to pre format the drive. The bootable CD has the feature called "Add New Drive" which does this. But note that this process partitions the drive and when you try to use either Backup, Recover, or Clone to the drive, the process will see that there is already a partition on the drive and will ask to delete it before it will let you procede.

3. brock

brock Registered Member

This is the work flow process

1. Create image of base PC by using TI boot CD - copy image to file server
    2. Boot new identical PC (with blank HD inside) with TI9 boot CD
    3. Cannot see any network resources or hard drives (this as worked fine on other older PCs)
    4. Shutdown PC, reboot and format disk with any available tool, shutdown PC
    5. Reboot PC with TI9 boot CD, now can see network resources and attached drives.
    6. Select image from file server - restore completes and works

In a nutshell, if I boot a PC (with a blank disk drive inside) via a TI9 boot CD then I cannot browse to any restore file options unless I do the above steps - surely this cannot be right?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I believe this type of issue has been posted at various times. My guess is that in some cases TI can't tell the blank drive is present and then decides there is no point in proceeding further. It certainly should be corrected if possible.

I wonder if you have to do a format or just an initialize.

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I hit a similar issue when trying to clone a PATA to a SATA2. After rebooting TI claimed there was nothing to do as it couldn't see the target drive. I rebooted into Windows and initialised the SATA2 disk and tried again - it worked fine.

F.

6. brock

brock Registered Member

Ok, at least I now know that it not something I'm doing, or not.

I can now change my procedure documentation to take into account...erm....TI9's quirkiness! :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.