Can TI recover the recovery point information of a previously made base image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by excexe, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excexe

excexe Registered Member

Can TrueImage recover the recovery point information of a base image that was previously made?

for example, say that i create a recovery point on my system drive. afterwards, i create a recovery point on another drive (say, drive d:) on my pc. after a system crash, i restore the system image (that has no record of the recovery point i made on drive d:). can i reuse the previously made drive d: image as a base on which to make incremental backups of the drive? or do i have to make another huge base (that takes a few hours since the drive i'm talking about is about 200+ gigs)?

Currently I am using Norton Ghost and thinking about switching to TrueImage. Ghost does not do this. i'm hoping trueImage can.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If I have understood correctly you want to know if you can make backup images, incrementals and restore different partitions independently of each other.

The answer is yes you can using True Image.

I am wondering what the large volume of data you have on D drive actually is. If it consists mainly of already compressed data, such as videos and music, imaging this part may not be the best solution. The thought of restoring such a large image with a string of incrementals fills me with dread. It probably would work but the time it would take will run into many hours and the slightest corruption would stop the restore in it's tracks.

My choice would be to make a second copy of D on another large hard drive and not use an imaging program for this job. Then should your old D drive fail you would be ready to go from your copy at any time.

Xpilot

3. excexe

excexe Registered Member

i contacted norton, and they told me this: once norton ghost looses recovery point information on a base image (ie, "last backup with base.v2i was 10/23 at 4pm), incremental backups can no longer be made with that base image. one way you can loose such information is by restoring your system to a point when ghost has no record of seperate backups you made of other drives (since you made those backups after you created the system base image). therefore, after you restore your system image, and you want to back up other drives, ghost will force you to make a new base image everytime. how dumb.

anyways, i downloaded the trial and decided that i want to go with ATI. good thing the ghost program i bought is FAR ('free after rebates' for you non-slickdealers).

4. excexe

excexe Registered Member

this drive D i'm talking about does contain alot of already compressed data such as vids and music. should all of the data on this drive fail, i doubt i'll want to restore everything back to the drive. most likely i'll just mount the image and use that instead. small chance i would want to restore the 200+ gig image that might fail in the process.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello excexe,

I freely admit that I know nothing about Norton or any other Symantec software but do you by any chance also have Norton GoBack installed? If so, you need to be aware of this <Acronis True Image 10 Online FAQ>.

Regards

6. excexe

excexe Registered Member

thanks for the headsup. i uninstalled everything norton before trying ATI. norton has been alot of trouble for me anyway. gonna do a low level format on my drive and reinstall windows to get rid of norton's clutter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.