Can TI Edit NTFS Partition Image (delete file, add file)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jjmcchristian, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjmcchristian

jjmcchristian Registered Member

I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me with a imaging functionality problem I am having. I am looking for an image program that has the ability to edit an Image created from an NTFS formatted partition. I need to be able to edit this image using a explorer window. I know that you can load an image and open\save individual files via the Virtual Partition in TI. However, I need to be able to edit specific files in the partition\image such as update a dll to a new version or remove a program from the startup folder. I work for a company that has an insane amount of critical program updates which makes image creations an extreme head ache. We are currently using Norton Ghost and it will only allow FAT partitions to be edited from the Ghost Explorer. If acronis has this functionality I would most definately get our entire company sold on using TI other than Symantec. I currently have to load the image on a server, update the files, run sysprep, and then recreate the image again. This process takes at least a full day to complete. If I could just edit a file in the image then maybe the process would take an hour at the most.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I talked to online chat support and they said that TI version 9.1 will have this functionality built into it. Have any of you heard this information also?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Best thing is to try it. The Trial version of TI is fully functional.

3. jjmcchristian

jjmcchristian Registered Member

Thanks I have already tried it on my personal purchased edition of TI. There is nothing in the TI manually about this functionality nor is the option available from the virtual image. (Where I guess this option will be added in the future)

Does anyone else have suggestions or information they have heard about this ability?

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I can save some time for you. Restore an image on any machine, but don't let it boot from the hard drive. Boot from BartPE and add, replace and edit your files. Then re-image the machine. It's almost as good as what you wanted to do and gives the same result. I do it all the time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jjmcchristian,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions allows you to edit the already created images. You can only restore individual files and folders from an image using either embedded Plug Image tool or Recovery wizard, but not add data to an image. Please also note that we plan to implement such functionality in the future versions\builds of Acronis True Image, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.