Can SystemSafe recovery by thirth-parity software

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by soyaguy, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soyaguy

soyaguy Registered Member

Anyone can tell me about the System Safe function remove all change after computer reboot. Can the user allowed to use some thirth-paity software like "RecoveryFix" (boot from Usb or CD rom) to recovery the removed file?

I don't want to allow our user to do this.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello soyaguy and welcome to the forums :)

This should not be possible unless the program is capable of performing advanced forensics/disaster data recovery. When RVS System Safe is active, backups and images cannot be performed so the file in question or changes to an existing file should be lost at restart unless the file is saved to an unprotected disk (RVS Virtual Disk, external USB drive, non-system partition, etc).

Once the system is restarted and the cache is overwritten, not even advanced forensics techniques should be able to retrieve the data.

Mike

3. soyaguy

soyaguy Registered Member

Dear Coldmoon,
    Thank you for your well replay, After that i will try to use the Returnil to restore our company pc, our company need it verymuch. because the law & tax in China. need to keep data in secret.
    Henry

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

So Coldmoon I assume you are saying that he is safe just as long as he has that option checked (to wipe all changes after restart), correct? If this feature is checked, then the Chinese government, even with advanced tools, will not be able to recover any files that were viewed while Returnil is activated. Is this correct?

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello caspian,
    The subject of privacy has been a long discussed topic and has never been the primary focus of RVS. With that said, the following are the possibilities:

1. No cache wipe: Information remains within the cache and can be recovered by forensic techniques but cannot be discovered using casual methods. After a restart, the cache is reset and will be overwritten. what was overwritten is lost but the new data is again retrievable.

2. Cache wipe is used: Cache is overwritten at computer start and all used space is overwritten with a single pass. Data entered into the cache following this point, until the next restart is discoverable forensically.

Mike

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks for explaining that. That is pretty much the way I understood things but I wasn't sure. And although Returnil was not created specifically or intentionally as a privacy tool, it sure seems to fit the bill as an excellent privacy tool.

What I love most about this product is that I can download tons of links, music, movies and vids etc...., try out some software, play games or whatever, and when I restart my computer everything is smooth as silk. It remains in pristine condition. I absolutely love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.