Can someone suggest a very stable KDE distro for novice?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Can someone suggest a very stable linux distro for novice?

Im looking for a stable KDE distro that is easy to set up for novice. I am currently running Linux mint KDE and here are the issues I had with it so far:
    - clock was off by 4 hours despite selecting appropriate city and time zone -- a common bug that I solved via termial
    - update process failed due to bad ubuntu signatures -- took me 2 days to troubleshoot but i finally got it solved via terminal
    - OS crashes at shut down
    - unable to install new software because software manager is running
    - software manager crashed

Now this linux distro is beautiful and I solved the critical issues but I cant help it but to feel that it is not very stable/polished. Do you guys have any suggestions about the most stable and bug free KDE distro. And somwthing thats well supported and not one man team.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Welcome to linux... :)

You'll find this probably in most distros, that's just the nature of linux from my experience. You might try Kubuntu and see if it's any better, but I noticed bugs in that also. openSUSE usually does a pretty good KDE too.

But as a rule, expect anything....

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

5. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Desktop distros are all fairly bug-ridden in my experience. OpenSUSE is the least so IMO, but if you want a less bug intensive experience, you probably want Debian. All the more so if you know how to use the CLI.

6. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Regarding the clock, read up on UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). Coming from Windows, you probably had your BIOS clock set to local time, and the installer assumed it was UTC and adjusted it based on that.

You'll want to change your BIOS clock to the current UTC time.

7. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

Entirely agree. Nothing can beat Debian if stability is what you want; it's the most polished distro out there. But before that, OP needs to learn about various things such as editing the sources.list file, how to install latest softwares from backports, how to do apt-pining etc.

I've never used KDE extensively, but PClinuxOS was the most satisfying one when I tried it a year ago. It's a rolling distro, which is another plus.

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi mattdocs12345,

Visit the website Dedoimedo run by Mrkvonic (a member here at Wilders). Run a search for KDE on that website - there is a Google custom search window at the top left of that webpage.

It will give you reviews by Mrkvonic of various distribution releases of KDE. For a release that is stable and has a good review, you may have to consider a 2011 release recommendation.

-- Tom

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Don't look for the perfect Linux distro, it doesn't exist, although I'm very impressed with Debian 7 and 8.

You are already gaining skills to solve issues, what you should look for is to increase your skills.

"A calm sea never created skilled sailors"

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Once installed, yes, it seems incredibly stable. However, during the installation process a few days ago I encountered an apt error. I think it had problems installing off the dvd, as it wouldn't even complete the base installation, let alone allow me to select software, so I finally figured out to install off one of the mirrors available from the menu.

Agreed, what I consistently find as well.

Are you using the x64 edition? I have found that I experience better stability with the 32 bit distros. Just my experience anyway.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  11. mattdocs12345

Okay this is what I tried:
    - mageia would not boot from USB, some kind of kernel panic
    - netrunner feels bloated with so many apps that I would never use and its UI emphasizes thick FF borders which decreases my real estate
    - Pc linux felt very responsive and very fast but also bloated with software but the worst part is that trackpoint completely doesn't work and the graphic card is not recognized
    I really like the idea of rolling updates but PC linux got too poor hardware suport out of the box. Im gonna give Linux Mint Debian a try.

So far I have settled on Cinamon as being the most stable and best out of the box experience.

12. UnknownK

LMDE should support all your hardwares. There is a device manager application, which you can use to install all the necessary drivers for your hardware.

There is a downside to LMDE too. Although it's a semi-rolling distro, it gets updated once or twice a year.

13. UnknownK

There is--atleast was when I was using-- a Mini Me edition of PClinuxOS which comes with a minimal set of softwares for those who don't like the bloat.

14. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

Try SolydK http://solydxk.com/

Review here http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/solydk-review.html

I decided to remove windows 8 from my laptop and go for something Debian based however neither LMDE or Debian would install because of something to do with my Intel CPU. I tried Solydx (XFCE) first and it was good but I ended up with the same XFCE video tearing problem I always get with XFCE on my laptop. I've installed Solydk now and it seems to be working well.

15. lotuseclat79

MiniMe is listed here PCLinux OS.

There was a Maintenance Release: PCLinuxOS-KDE-MiniME 2013.07.

-- Tom

16. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Check this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

17. mattdocs12345

Ok so i got linux mint debian 2013 editions. I spent 7 hours doing research on google and trying to increase trackpoint sensitivity/speed and the the middle button working. I managed to change the settings but they dont save on restart. Im fed up, im giving myself a break and going back to Cinammon based on ubuntu. Too bad cause mint Debian was exactly what i was looking for in terms of stability and speed.

18. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

19. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Debian Testing is Debian's Stable Branch. Its NOT compatible with Ubuntu, which is based on Debian's Unstable Branch. Debian Testing is more of a rolling distro. You can install it once and never have to reinstall it again. If you want a LTS distro, Debian Testing is the way to go. If you want something more fresh and up to date, pick Ubuntu. :thumb:

20. lotuseclat79

Not that you have the time, but it would be good to report why you rejected Linux Mint Debian 2013 to that team of developers regarding your trackpoint issue/middle button so they can prioritize and fix it.

-- Tom

21. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  22. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

best distro is what working stable for you if you keep like distro hopping and doing weird experimenting no OS is good for you not even cinnamon redhat or mac windows.

in linux world nothing is 100% you can get 80-90% + few tweaks make you stay or leave back to windows :)

23. mattdocs12345

True, I am for sure doing distro hopping now. Im on Xubuntu. So far the most stable ones for me where Cinamon and Xubuntu comes second. My goal is to find an OS that runs smoothly and stable.

24. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I take it back, was playing with it when i didnt have a buzz and Kweezy is Overkill lol

Im using Mint 15 Cinnamon, most stable linux I have ever used, don't have ubuntu zeitgeist trash running in my processes, and because mint doesn't currently have an included way to upgrade releases with default install, you can partition your drive its so its easier to upgrade to a new releases of mint by following this YT tutorial.

Tutorial: Installing Linux Mint 15

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNK8OXIFyQ

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  25. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

most stable for me so far are cinnamon and centos/scientific linux i like to use kde time to time but not as permanent distro so cannot comment one more distro which almost perfect 10 pity they stop it is fuduntu

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fuduntu-2013-1.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.