can someone recommend some linux sysadmin and lamp books, please?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by iceni60, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm going to admin a site with my dad and am liking my kindle, i'm about to finish the millenium trilogy and want to have a few linux sysadmin and lamp books ready to read before i start reading some more fiction. do any of you know of some well written books? the linux sysadmin is something i want to get more familiar with. the lamp book i'm thinking i might need as i've only every played with web dev environments and stuff like wordpress locally.

my father got the site written and hosted by someone near where he lives. i was thinking all i'll have to do is ftp the images to the site and add some image tags and alternate text and minimal source editting and that's it. am i right to think that o_O

2. rudyl

rudyl Registered Member

Will you have cPanel or Plesk? Or just SSH? You mention LAMP, so I assume there's PHP and MySQL. What distro?

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my dad and his secretary had a meeting with the owner of the hosting company, he later came back with a coder while i wasn't there, i chose to work rather than sit with them for an hour and a half. i went for a cup of tea as he was leaving and just asked if the site will render in ie6, mobile devices etc and how i was worried about security. he said all will be fine. i then asked if he used lamp and he said yes and i could have a play around with the backend, i thought that sounds a bit dangerous lol. but, i got the impression they'd take care of the backend and hosting.

i'm just a bit worried as i'm the only one of the 3 of us that is slightly computer literate. i don't know more than i said, os - don't know, gui panels - don't know :(

i thought it would be better to have read a lamp book first as i have a couple of weeks free now.

4. rudyl

rudyl Registered Member

Start with -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

If you really want to read a book, the article cites a few.

If you want to play with LAMP on a local machine, check out
    -http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/04/installing-lamp-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help :)

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Look at the "limited time offers" for kindle ebooks.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help. i'm not so worried now, i only have to edit a few pages of html.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.