can someone recommend some linux sysadmin and lamp books, please?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by iceni60, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm going to admin a site with my dad and am liking my kindle, i'm about to finish the millenium trilogy and want to have a few linux sysadmin and lamp books ready to read before i start reading some more fiction. do any of you know of some well written books? the linux sysadmin is something i want to get more familiar with. the lamp book i'm thinking i might need as i've only every played with web dev environments and stuff like wordpress locally.

my father got the site written and hosted by someone near where he lives. i was thinking all i'll have to do is ftp the images to the site and add some image tags and alternate text and minimal source editting and that's it. am i right to think that o_O

2. rudyl

rudyl Registered Member

Will you have cPanel or Plesk? Or just SSH? You mention LAMP, so I assume there's PHP and MySQL. What distro?

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my dad and his secretary had a meeting with the owner of the hosting company, he later came back with a coder while i wasn't there, i chose to work rather than sit with them for an hour and a half. i went for a cup of tea as he was leaving and just asked if the site will render in ie6, mobile devices etc and how i was worried about security. he said all will be fine. i then asked if he used lamp and he said yes and i could have a play around with the backend, i thought that sounds a bit dangerous lol. but, i got the impression they'd take care of the backend and hosting.

i'm just a bit worried as i'm the only one of the 3 of us that is slightly computer literate. i don't know more than i said, os - don't know, gui panels - don't know :(

i thought it would be better to have read a lamp book first as i have a couple of weeks free now.

4. rudyl

rudyl Registered Member

Start with -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

If you really want to read a book, the article cites a few.

If you want to play with LAMP on a local machine, check out
    -http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/04/installing-lamp-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help :)

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Look at the "limited time offers" for kindle ebooks.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help. i'm not so worried now, i only have to edit a few pages of html.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.