Can someone help me crash my computer? or help me get software to work again?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SonyaM32, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I need help, here's the problem. I have a 1999 Compaq with windows 98, I gave to my daughter. Well, she did something to it, and I don't know what. She only played games on it, and didn't have any internet connection, etc:
    Here's what happens. When I turn the computer on, it goes through it's Windows 98 logo screen, and the scan disk.and then this comes up on a black screen, not a window:
    Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
    The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
    If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
    If you still want to use the application associated with this devise file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file.
    C:\WINDOWS\system\VMM32\enable.VXD
    Press a key to continue_

When I press a key to continue, here is what happens: One of those little Explorer windows comes up and says: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
    So I click close, or details, and then there is only a black screen, and I can move the mouse pointer, but that's it.
    As I said she does not have the internet to get a virus on, and has not installed anything.
    I have the Windows 98 CD, and the boot disk.
    Can someone help me please?
    Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. SonyaM32

I want to reinstall Windows. That option was in the link info you gave. But it doesn't say how I can re-install windows. I am trying to boot up with the boot disk and CD, but it keeps going to the safe made options, etc: I tried running in safe mode, and windows will still not load. How can I reinstall windows?
    Thanks!

4. SonyaM32

I also tried the command prompt, and I know that D:\setup runs the D drive. But on the command it has c:\> and I can't do it with the > in the way. Srry if I confused anyone :rolleyes: I know a little about command prompts, but not alot.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. SonyaM32

Thanks ronjor
    I can't get it to the screen in the pic. I have installed windows this way alot of times. I put both the boot disk, and the CD in an then start the computer, but it goes to the screen with the safe mode, command prompt, and all those other choices. It is supposed to go to this screen.
    My lights are comming on the drives. I just know it's not going to that screen.
    Thanks for the links :)

Attached Files:

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What are the choices?

8. SonyaM32

The choices are
    1. Normal
    2. Logged (Bootlog.txt)
    3. safe mode
    4. safemode with network support
    5. step by step confirmation
    6. command prompt only
    7. safe mode command prompt only

I've tried them all to see if they would work. The command prompt has that > like this C:\> and I need it to be like this C:\
    Usually I can just type C:\ and it will change, but that's not working, it just goes back to that >

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

At C:\> can you enter C:\ ?

10. SonyaM32

Usually, but it's not working. It still goes to the C:\>. I am also trying to get it to read the other drives. I type in A:\ and it tries to read it (for the boot disk) , but after a few minutes, it goes to "no longer a valid drive" The same thing with C and D. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You have the startup disk. Any of this info help?

1. Start your computer, with the Windows 98 startup disk.
    2. You can create the Windows 98 boot disk from this link:

http://ephemeral-designs.com/downloads/boot98se.exe

(Save the file in the desktop and double click the file to create a Windows 98 boot disk.

3. At the MS-DOS prompt [i.e. A:] , type C: , and then press ENTER.
    4. At the C: prompt, type CD Windows\Options\Cabs and press enter. (A Space between CD and Windows\Options\Cabs is required.)
    5. At the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs> prompt type: setup and press enter.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_21422817.html

12. SonyaM32

Ok, I will go try all that, and I'll be back :D Thanks :cool:

13. SonyaM32

Ok, I got it on C:\Windows> . No commands have worked yet, but I'm still trying

14. SonyaM32

Ok, it's still on C:\WINDOWS>, none of the commands are rite (that I've tried from the ones above, and a few more.) C:\WINDOWS>\START works, but it says it can't be run in DOS mode :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , it keeps saying bad command or file name. I just want it to go to the screen in the pic above, lol :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Instead of C:\ try entering the cd rom drive letter. d:\ Make sure your cd is in the drive.

Somehow, you need to find setup to reinstall Windows.

16. SonyaM32

for some reason it is not reconizing my D drive as a valid drive.

17. SonyaM32

A while back I run fdisk, and reformatted the c drive, and reinstalled windows afterwards, that way. But that's been a while, and I can't remember how to do it again.

I guess I have to take the top off the computer to see if the CD drive is pluged in correctly, but the CD light comes on, and it opens and closes, so I figure it is already pluged in rite :rolleyes:

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try to remember. :D

19. SonyaM32

Well, I just typed in C:\WINDOWS\STARTNOW\OR ELSE and it said invalid file name, lol :D
    I think I had customer support on the telephone when I did fdisk last time. But the extended warranty run out now. That's been a few years ago.
    Isn't there anyone here on Wilders who can help me fdisk? :oops: :D :cool: :oops:

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My grand daughters 98se computer did almost the same thing a little while back, and to keep it short what turned out to be the problem was that the Hdd went out. I couldn't access anything not even the "A" drive.

22. SonyaM32

bigc, what is Hdd? :)
    Mine isn't recognizing any of the drives either.

23. SonyaM32

Well, I took the top off, and everything was pluged in rite. I unpluged everything, and repluged in, and of course that didn't work, that would have been too easy. :rolleyes:
    Also, when it was in her room, the window I want came up, but when we moved it in my room, now it won't come up.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your Compaq system is set to boot to the C:\ drive. What you are going to have to do is enter your Compaq's BIOS and tell it to boot to your floppy drive first....if you are positive you have a good boot disk. When you turn your Compaq PC on it should say what to select to enter Setup....the Del key, F2 key....etc. If you can tell us which Compaq....including model #....We can be looking for the info telling you which selection you need to change in order to make the A:\ drive the first boot device. Unless of course you have the owners manual....in which case it will tell you how to enter BIOS and what selection to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.