Can someone explain these

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by T_Durden, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have seen and tried to read up on SEHOP and DEP and I just dont understand how it works or how to set it up. DEP gives me warnings about programs perhaps not working if activated for all programs and the other I just fully dont understand. I'm used to AV security but if these help out and would be more logical since i dont do much online that would be called dangerous. I'm pretty well read on the AV products but just would like a simple safe set up of these others because i dont get it. I am using win7/MSE/mbam pro and win7 firewall and a router with firefox as my browser. ay help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

DEP is Date Execution Prevention
    DEP prevents execution of code in area which is intended for data. Basically your CPU processes commands which looik like this command - operand1 - operand2 (e.g. ADD - value of field A to - value of fieldB). In a more complex way this also happens when you run Windows. DEP prevents to put commands in the data areas which changes the logic of the program (and jumping to malicious code for example).

SEHOP is Structured Exception Handler Overwrite Protection
    Basically you can tell When some the program encounters an error (SEH) perform this piece of code (different but simular to the 404 page not found error you sometimes get on the web). By overwriting the address of the handler, you can jump to a piece of malicious code (in stead of teh error handler the programmer intended to use). SEHOP prevents this.

Don't shoot me for trying to explain in laymens terms

DEP http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700810.aspx

SEHOP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956607

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. T_Durden

Ha! Thats a tad better then i have seen it explained. My real question is whats the set up of it though? right now the DEP is on default and not all programs. when i try to turn on all programs it warns me it may make some not work right or at all. I havent looked too much ito the other but looks just as hard to follow. maybe i need a PC acronym book and what they all do lol. Thanks man ill check into it more

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Enabling SEHOP is as simple as running the Fix It found here.

5. T_Durden

I couldnt find that when i looked on the site. Found the other ones but didnt understand them. This one is saying That the install for me isnt up for win7 and im not comfortable going into the reg myself and changing anything. Thanks for the link though. I appreciate the help

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

That FixIt also works flawless for Windows 7, many people, myself included, tried it and it works. Microsoft is just slow sometimes with updating their thousands of KB pages.

7. T_Durden

oh ok. I'll check it out again and see how it goes. thanks for the help fellas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.