Can Someone explain my Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve1209, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi All,

Pretty new here, I thought my hard drive had a single partition BUT when I go to back it up, it looks like I have 3 partitions (see attached screenshot) What do I need to back up everything listed? What are the 3 partitions since I only have a single partition on my C: drive or so I thought...

Thanks for any insight,
    Steve
    http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11302006160431eg9.jpg

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Steve1209

Yes you must [SHOULD] Back up all three Partitions of your Dell.

C: is the OS Partition.

The other two are Hidden Symantec Ghost Restore Partitions of Dell's, Pressing keys Ctrl-F11 at Boot Up will restore your Computer to the state it left the factory.

Some very good info on Dell Partitions:- Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Steve1209

TheQuest,

That is awesome information, I sincerely appreciate your reply with that link!!

Steve
    PS you made my day, thanks again!!

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

What TheQuest stated is very true of many Dell systems. You should check the box to the left of the expression Disk1. Doing this will select all of the partitions on the drive.

A recent experience (I was told this during a phone conversion so I don't have any first hand knowledge) that a Dell Dimension 8400 had an additional feature. I had prompted the owner to contact Dell about getting an operating system CD as purchased. Dell sent several driver CD's but not the operating system. Looking the system over this person discovered a link on the Start button that read Dell or Dell Support. Selecting this provided the user a one-time opportunity to create an operating system CD. After creating the CD which was over 600 MB (WinXP Pro) this feature was removed from the Start button. I have never heard of this before but it looked valid.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You have gotten the right information here. I'll add just a note.

After you have backed up the entire hard disk, all three partitions, save that backup. From then on, you only need to backup the C partition. The other two don't change, so the original backup is sufficient.

If you have a problem with software, you can just restore the C partition to go back to a good system.

If your hard drive fails, you first restore the backup of the entire drive (all three partitions. Then, you restore the lastest backup of the C partition to bring the new hard drive up to date.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jmk94903

Nice add-on about any future BackUp's about C:, jmk :thumb:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Steve1209

Thanks to everyone,

Each of you added a little information which gave me the whole "Big Picture" I sincerely appreciate the support each of you gave me!! This is a great product to start with & this support forum makes it 100% better if that's possible!!

Thank you,
    Steve

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.