Can port explorer open ports?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by phatmatteternity, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatmatteternity

phatmatteternity Registered Member

I know port explorer can overlook what ports are opened / attempted to be opened and closed or w/e, but can I manually open the ports? and if not, does anyone know a software I can get to open the ports manually? (I tried opening ports manually on my router and I have no clue how to do it. I emailed the router's manufacturer and talked to my isp, no answer from the manufacturer and the ISP I'm paying is a bunch of lazy @$$holes...)
    -King

2. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Any firewall will open ports you require...
    GhostWall for exemple will allow you to create a "Rule" to open a TCP or UDP or any other protocol based port you need to run a program. If you open a port and you have no Program running as a host and listening for incoming or outgoing traffic on the port you created a rule to open, you could risk exposing yourself to hackers. If you do have a program running that can listen on the ports you open make sure they are secure. i.e. a login and password (at least) since any port scanner will now detect the Open port as well as the "listening" application furthering the risk to you...

As for Opening ports on your router. You need to "Foreward" the "Port" (Read Number) Either TCP IP or UDP or Both to a specific IP address on your LAN. First you must assign a static address to your PC (or Use the MAC addressing to dynamically have one assigned if you're router supports this feature). If this is too complex simply assign a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) to your PC's IP address (basically it turns off the firewall for a specific IP address on your LAN. (Again you need a static address for this). Keep in mind that DMZ opens all ports to a specific IP and will make your computer vulnerable to attack if you don't have a properly configured software firewall...

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi phatmatteternity, Welcome to Wilders.

There is info here to help with port forwarding.

4. Hermescomputers

The site is informative and probably useful however the tool PFConfig provides some cause for concern as it pertains to router security. The tool is located here http://www.portforward.com/store/pfconfig.htm

This tool looks like it only provides partial help since it only helps with port forwarding and fails in assisting users securing the environment. Also doesn't using a tool such as this demonstrates weaknesses in router based security and as such defeat the very idea of having a secured router in the first place?

Nonetheless it may prove useful to someone stuck and unable to forward ports.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  5. phatmatteternity

this doesent apply to the type of router / firewall i'm using..
    -King

6. phatmatteternity

so.. is Pconfig or w/e it's called... is that secure enough? IT LOOKS easy and it looks like what I want to use...
    (I want to be able to open ports easier and forward them so I can do what I WANT.. INCLUDING hosting games.....) idk how to ask so ill try. does this pconfig look like it can help me?
    -King

7. Hermescomputers

It may help. I just don't like the idea of an external software that "Dig" into the router and change settings like opening ports and other "high risk" configuration in this way. I see this as a real security risk.

What is your router make and model someone may be able to assist if we know what it is.

As for games you will need specific ports for both UDP and TCP ports to be opened. Here is a list where you should be able to get what ports to actually open that may help with this:
    http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.