Can password managers defeat keyloggers?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 10spot, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10spot

10spot Guest

Hello,

I am wondering if password managers like Keepass and RoboForm can be used to defeat most or all keyloggers?

Now, I'm assuming they will defeat the keylogging abilities because you won't be typing anything while using them, but some keyloggers do log anything that's copied to the clipboard also, and other areas like take screen shots etc.., from what I've heard.

So I guess what I'm asking is do most password managers use the Windows clipboard to transferrer the data? And is the data decrypted before it's copied to the clipboard? Because then the passwords could be easily logged even with out typing a single keystroke. Am I correct here or wrong?

Thanks for any replies.

2. tom772

tom772 Guest

not really! they can protect passwordso nce they have been typed, but not protect you while you are typing them or even using an on screen keyboard!

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I think the best way to defeat keyloggers is to head them off at the pass - e.g. Snoopfree, ProcessGuard, etc.

Rich

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

We need an Enigma keyboard.

These guys are working on something interesting. Wired

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.