can not open any program after using Ewido

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by zxpoppy, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zxpoppy

zxpoppy Registered Member

Hi, all,

I am a newbie of Ewido.

Last night, I downloaded and used Ewido (4.00172) to scan my computer. It's my first time of using this software and it seems that it worked great---it found many malwares in my computer. I quarantined them all.

I began my scan work at midnight, so I kept my computer turning on. This morning, when I restarted my computer, the screen showed the information as follows:

windows can not find : E:/windows/system/59bi970.exe
    windows can not find "1". Make sure you type the name correctly and try again

So I know there was something wrong, I immediately checked my computer. Oh, my God, I can not open any program in my computer. IE, Opera, AVG...,

I want to re-open the Ewido and examine whether the two files above may be quarantined. But, you can guess, I can not open Ewido too.

So, I am not sure whether Ewido is the only reason that makes me in the trouble. I can not understand how I can delete these files

I appreciate any suggestions on this. Thanks in advance.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried opening in safe mode?

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

59bi970.exe sounds like a bad file to me, trying to get started with Windows but unable to due to deletion. Maybe it's knocked out your executable file associations?

Can you open progs using the Run box? Click Start/Run and enter the file path to the executable (ie C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe).

If you can't access the Start button you can press Ctrl Alt Delete, and in TM click File/New Task.

If you can bring up ewido that way I wouldn't recommend unquarantining bad files until you are sure what the problem is.

If your .exe file associations are done for, you can reinstate by downloading the required .exe file here:-

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

The Windows message can be dealt with by Reg editing, but see if the above works first.

Edit:- The file path to ewido in your case may be E:\Program Files..... Obviously you use the correct file path!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  4. btman

btman Registered Member

So... if you can't open IE or Opera.... how r we speaking to you?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  5. zxpoppy

zxpoppy Registered Member

Thanks for all kind reply.

Actually, I use the company's computer to send this.

With the help of TopperIP, I copy the .exe files from the link and the programs can be used now.

But it seems that Ewido still does not good to me, cause I can not use internet (it shows the computer does not find TCP/IP connection). Moreover, the computer showed it can not find some other files.

I do not know which are associated with these functions. so I have to restore all the quarantined files and uninstall Ewido. Yes, it is normal now (including malware as well)

I think Ewido is too "sensitive" cause it quarantines some normal but important files but sometimes we can not distinguish these from bad guys.

I can not go into the safe mode before and after uninstallation of Ewido, I am not sure whether it is related to this software.

Anyway, Thanks all and I appreciated all your kind help.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

With regard to the TCP/IP connection, there are a couple of things to try. First go to ewido's Analysis section and click the LSP Viewer tab; if you select each entry in turn to get more details a new button will appear if ewido finds a broken link that can be repaired.

Failing that you could try this:-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4372

These kind of connection problems can happen when you remove adware/spyware.

You don't tell us what files are referred to in the messages about windows not finding files, but they may be bad files that have been set to start with windows but cannot be found due to deletion; in which case the messages can be dealt with by Reg editing, but you need to get the other problems sorted first.

I wouldn't like to comment on ewido quarantining good files as well as bad, without knowing what it quarantined, but I think you will find it is bad files causing the difficulties rather than the removal of good files.

See here how to get into safe mode:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Try the alternative method if the F8 one fails.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks. Bookmarked. But what I need to do is download them all & burn to disk. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.