Can not activate the Startup recovery manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by slayers_cx, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayers_cx

slayers_cx Registered Member

I was doing a restore of the whole system, and i think i accidently wiped the MBR files alone with the hard drive. After that It kept on showing the MBR error3 message, so I ran the windows xp cd and fixed it. But now when i try to create a Acronis Secure Zone and Activate the Startup Recovery Manager, it wont work, even though it says that it is completed.

BTW I'm using Acronis Image Home Edition V11 (build 8,027)

Someone Pls help!!

2. Saytar

Saytar Registered Member

I got this same error almost said MBR 2 error. Mine was caused by the backup image I restored. When it was created my Secure Zone was NOT activated. After the backup was made it WAS activated, this was written to the MBR. So when I restored the unactivated image it errored out. I merely went in and set Secure Zone to activated. Rebooted...no problem. Every thing working as advertised.

Using Home 2009 here.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello slayers_cx,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

First of all I would recommend you download and install the latest build (8101) of Acronis True Image 11 Home from your account on our web site.

If the issue remains after using workaround provided by Saytar try to use Acronis bootable disc to create Acronis Secure Zone and activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. If the issue still persists make sure that you have maximum 3 primary partitions, because using 4 primary partitions will not allow you create Acronis Secure Zone. As workaround you can create 3 primary and as many logical partitions as you want.

The reason for the issue can be USB device of any type (USB hard drive, card reader etc) attached to the machine during the creation of Acronis Secure Zone (USB hard drive, card reader etc). Temporarily detach any USB storage device that is plugged in. Let Acronis True Image perform the operation with the USB storage device detached.

If you have an inbuilt card reader, then disable it through Windows Device Manager:

1. Hit Win-R to get to the command prompt;
    2. Type in devmgmt.msc and hit Enter;
    3. In the Device Manager window locate your card reader (it probably starts with letters SD, MMC etc);
    4. Right-click on the card reader and select Disable.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. philllie1

philllie1 Registered Member

I am sorry to say, but: I restored a TI-image on my notebook and after that I do now get the message "mbr error 3" as well (the notebook then starts up ok; but i do not get the acronis screen etc).
    As I read here, an mbrfix could solve it, but: with my notebook I did not get a vista dvd. Also: I think this should not happen that I have to fix mbr every time i use a TI-Image ??
    would appreciate your help

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello philllie1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

When you select a partition or a whole disk to restore, there is a separate "MBR and Track 0" item under the partitions, mark this box and proceed with the recovery. This operation will restore MBR without using Windows installation disk.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.