Can NOD32 Scan Incredimail?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by pjamme, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjamme

pjamme Registered Member

Sorry for the newbie question, I just joined today.
    I had used McAfee 2005 Suite and was so disgusted with it I uninstalled it and my 2year Spy Sweeper to install F-Prot. (F-Prot don't like competition) I Seem to be having problems updating F-Prot (Dialup). I am also having problems with virtual memory since installing F-Prot and my XP Pro computer has 1GB RAM??

My original desire was to use NOD32, but I read an article that said NOD32 did not scan Outlook Express e-mail and I believe Incredimail is just a fancied up Outlook Express. I have Office XP so I could switch to Outlook XP if I had to. It just seems to much like being at work, you know?

So can I get results with NOD32 or do I need Outlook XP?

2. covaro

covaro Registered Member

NOD32 can scan ANY incoming POP3 email. It only scans outgoing using Outlook. AMON should take care of any bugs if they are ever on your system, so you shouldn't have to worry about sending infected emails.

-Cov

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is totally wrong information.

You can use any POP3 email client such as Outlook Express, Incredimail, Mozilla Thunderbird etc without an issue.

Cheers :D

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As Blackspear already said , what you have read it is wrong .

NOD32 has 5 components/protection modules -> AMON , DMON , EMON , IMON and NOD32 on-demand scanner

IMON is the Internet monitor which scans all the HTTP and POP3 traffic at the early Winsock level ,which means the whole traffic is being scanned even before it reaches the appolication (in your case increadimail)

AMON (or the Antivirus monitor) is the resident scanner . It performs on-create,on-access and on-execute scans.Your mail will be scanner once again with AMON when your attachment is about to be created or accessed.

DMON scans MS Office Documents , EMON scans MS Office Outlook

Because of the fact IMON works on the early Winsock level , it cannot scan encrypted traffic (port 995) . If your mail clients (software) uses encryption , IMON will not scan it however you are still protected because AMON will be always ON protecting you ! :thumb:

More information about NOD32:
    http://www.eset.com/products/windows.php
    http://www.eset.com/products/compare.php
    http://www.eset.com/products/compare_heuristic_detection.php
    http://www.eset.com/products/compare-NOD32-vs-competition.php

Regards! :D :thumb:

5. pjamme

pjamme Registered Member

Hi guys, thanks for re-assuring me. F-Prot is gone tonight and I am installing my NOD32 eval.
    glad to be aboard.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Go through Blackspear's tutorial to setup NOD32 for maximum protection and automatic work

Make sure your NOD32 is updated , the latest signature is 1.1725
    Open NOD32 Control Center -> NOD32 -> Run NOD32 -> Scan&Clean to perform full scan of your hard drives :D

7. pjamme

pjamme Registered Member

Thanks HiTech Boy, I did yesterday. In fact I printed it out to take it home. (Dial up you know). I live in the country and still waiting for any kind of hi speed connection other than Direct PC. No luck so far waiting for 6 years now. Getting ready to move to Virginia, so no big deal now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.