Can MPG or AVI files contain malware?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheMozart, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If I download MPG and AVI files and play them with VLC, can I get infected with malware?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well idk if the file itself can infect u, but i have had instances wer its required me to download a "codec" which seems to be a malicious one.

3. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I am pretty sure that those files can contain malware but they cannot execute it. They could however be embedded with a link to a malicious website.

4. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

Not only those but even image files. They can contain embedded code or exploit that will download and execute malwares. If you are using a vulnerable software, not updated or having zero day vulnerabilities with POC published, then there's a possiblity.

As for the frequency of such attacks, that's another question.
    As always, the security advice to update your softwares like your media players is a good one.

You need not be paranoid if you have a default deny policy in place. I myself is still using oldversion media players with lots of exploits published in the wild. Never have an instance where a dropper was installed or anything as I observed any activity in a sandbox environment with logging by HIPS in place. BTW, I am not using any anti-virus or any scanner. And I go into pron sites and download stuff here and there.

If you are using sandboxie, you may need to look at this... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=251947

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.