Can manually disabling autoruns via registry tweak prevent bartpe loading?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Horus37, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Was curious if you manually tweak the registry to stop autoruns from running on bootup, how will that affect the loading of a rescue disk? Say if I did this: AutoRun can be bypassed by holding down the shift key as the optical disc is inserted into the optical disc drive. It can also be permanently disabled (by a System Administrator) by setting the "AutoRun" subkey in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom to 0. However, even when Autorun is disabled, executing default Explorer context menu command, usually done by double-clicking or pressing Enter, to a drive containing AUTORUN.INF in its root directory will still activate AutoRun, if Explorer determines the drive type is capable of AutoRun. Am I locked out on reboot from using a cdrom then? I have another setting in the bios where I can enable or disable the cdrom. Would I have to do both the registry and the bios tweak to perm disable this and if I did that would I not be able to rescue myself with a cd rom?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Disabling autorun will not prevent you from booting off a CD.

If you disable the CD-ROM in teh BIOS, you will not be able to use it until you enable it back again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.