Can malware get past ProcessGuard and RegDefend?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by richrf, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

@ clueless... you must be the smartest and the coolest guy alive he??

being unregistered and commenting on people and doubting the skills....rock on clueless, you're my idol!

p.s. no matter if you register or not: the admins/mods/... do have all the ip's anyway lol... talking about being clueless :)

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

<g> No, it wouldn't (in your case anyway).

Look, since you're obviously not a hacker yourself ( a 'wanabee' or a "groupie" at best), why don't you simply go crying to them yourself and point them at this thread? Or, would you simply like to keep attempting to take this thread off-track - something I was trying not to do after being warned about it? Pete

*Mods - If I'm attacked, I'm going to respond, okay? That's just the way I am and always have been. This last posts are exactly the reason I brought up the un-registered posters issue again.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi clueless,

I think your primary point is that valuable exploits cannot be wasted on a single person. I think this is a point well taken, that truly valuable information will be kept hidden in order to realize its full value.

However, five figures is not valuable. Something has to be in at least the six and possibly severn figures to be truly considered valuable. A person can make five figures by flipping burgers - and on top of that have better Karma to boot!

There are probably some valuable exploits out there, but I think the primary problem nowadays remains the well-known exploits that are not being contained because most users still do not have good protection.

What I am getting out of this discussion is that KAV (or any other top AV/AT/AS) + ProcessGuard + RegDefend is very powerful against known exploits, and possibly the vendors of these products need to do a better job at:

1) Marketing
    2) User friendliness (particularly in their interfaces and help documentation)

in order to have a deeper penetration of the market. Much wider usage would certainly help the PC community at large.

Rich

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As has been already noted above, the throw down and pickup of challenges will be left to other sites, not Wilders.

@ cluessnewbie:

While Wilders certainly has a diverse member base, refering to it as a wading pool of beginning to intermediate users does miss a lot. Many beginners visit, there are a fair number of intermediate users, and there are a much smaller number of extremely capable individuals. I'd say that's true of virtually any general site such as this.

As for your other comments, applications such as PG and RD have a role in the spectrum of protective software. There are lots of persistent bits of junk more irritating than benign adware, but less critical than the directed use of a previously unknown exploit, that many of us can stumble upon. These types of programs deal with that intermediate range of problem cases. If one feels the need for more comprehensive coverage, there are plenty of options for someone willing to spend the money.

Now, let's everyone keep the discussion on topic and off personal comments. Thanks.

Blue

5. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Yes indeed one more personal comment or going off topic and i will close this thread. I am not in the habit of repeating myself
    Thank you

6. cluessnewbie

cluessnewbie Guest

Infinity, believe it or not I know spy1 pretty well. Heck I know most of the regulars here pretty well.

I hope you don't think this is something surprising to me, much less to 95% of the people on the internet. And of course, I wont insult your intelligence by implying you don't know how to use proxies to circumvent that.

But to forstall any questions, no I don't usually borther with such tricks.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

;) no prbs Clueless, have a nice day

Inf.

8. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Well the debate on this topic looks over and the question by the thread starter answered so i will now close this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.