Can I use TI for migrating to a new laptop?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rb_stern, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rb_stern

rb_stern Registered Member

My Toshiba laptop is showing its age, and I want to replace it. I regularly use TI to do full backups to an external HD. Can I install TI on my new laptop and somehow use it to migrate all my programs, preferences, data and settings to the new one? If so, should I clone the HD on the old laptop to the new, or use the restore function? Or can I do it with Migrate Easy?

I have done extensive searches on the use of both these programs, but although there are plenty of references to migrating stuff to new HDs or partitions in an exisitng computer, I can't find an answer to my specific question.

Thank you,

Richard

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

I'm sure others will respond as well.
    If the chipsets, add-in cards, etc. are exactly the same (which I'd doubt), you may get away with it.
    It they have entirely different "guts," then the best way is to back-up your data, and reinstall your applications onto your new laptop, and then move your saved files over.
    It will take longer, but it will be more stable in the long run.

3. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Further to the previous reply, if you are using XP then I doubt that XP will work in the new laptop unless all the hardware is identical. Xp was designed to work on one machine only and allows for hardware changes but only over a period of time. The following article explains Windows Product Activation -

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Clone your new laptop hard disk and try it out. If it does not work, then ring MS, state that your old laptop has had it and that you want to install the XP on a new one (do not mention that it is still working) and maybe they will issue you with a new code.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software

Please note that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - transfers the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please read more in this FAQ article.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.

I would recommend you to follow Clone Disk approach.

Please also note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Please remember that in order to clone or migrate your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep)http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#30

However, please note that even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation tool (sysprep) we cannot guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows or Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes (depending on which operating system you use). Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in corresponding Acronis True Image version User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.