can i use THIS feature without doing THIS!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by guest, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

If i boot into Acronis TrueImage from dos and install the "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager", YET not install the actual software within windows, will it work?

Must i install the software in windows in order to "activate" the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and use it to restore images stored on other connected harddrives.

When activating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, does it copy files to windows to allow it to work, yet not having to "offically" install it within windows ?

If so, where does it copy these files ?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Now that would be a real trick. You can't do it.
    Let's see, uh yes.
    The Startup Recovery Manager modifies the MBR.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, so it's hard to offer advice. However, here's a suggestion.

Install True Image in Windows and create the Recovery CD. Do not activate the Recovery Manager or create a Secure Zone. Boot from the Recovery CD and confirm that you can see your hard drives and the target drives where you want to create your backup images. Reboot into Windows and uninstall True Image. When you want to make an image, boot from the Recovery CD. Now you have a route to backups without using Windows.

Why you would want to do this is your business. It makes more sense to make images from within Windows, but you can have it your way just like at Burger King.

I apologize for the sarcastic tone, but it's late and I'm tired.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello guest,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that you can create Acronis Secure Zone and activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager when booted from Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD.

There are two ways to obtain Acronis True Image 8.0 Bottable Rescue CD:

- Create it using Acronis Bootable Media builder. You should install Acronis True Image 8.0 under Windows in this case.

- Purchase a boxed version of Acronis True Image 8.0, as the installation CD that comes with a boxed version is bootable as well.

It appears that the second approach is more suitable for you since as I have understood you do not want to install Acronis True Image 8.0 under Windows at all.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.