can I use my old image in a new HHD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stenews, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenews

stenews Registered Member

Hi to every guru of this form! :p
    that's my today question:

my hp xw6200 workstation is configured with an Intel SATA Raid controller (build on the motherboard) and on it I connected two twins hard drive in a stripe mode (Raid 0).
    Now, after that I partitioned all the space in two chunks, in one (the biggest) I installed my root C:\ and I leaved the last chunk for archive purposes.
    I used Acronis True Image Enterprise to clone my C:\ drive and I'm happy with that because I already tried to reload the system and everything went right.

But...what happen if one or both my hard drive(s) fail to start?
    I men, if I got a physical crash of the drive(s).
    Will I be able to use the same .tib image to reload my system with new brand hard drive(s)

Bye and thanks for any help.
    Stefano.

P.S.
    I use Acronis True Image Enterprise Server version 9 (build 3,854) and I run windows Xp Pro SP3

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Yes, that's the entire purpose of true image, to restore an image of a bootable partition onto the same hard drive/partition(similar to doing a system restore), or worst case scenario onto a new hard drive.

I've done it many times restoring windows xp pro onto smaller and larger hard drives. Most of the times the restored drive will boot up the first time.

When restoring back to the same hard drive, that usually goes fine with no problems because windows xp already has all the necesary hard drive ID's in the registry. When restoring to a different hard drive, problems might arise with "drive letters" if the backup is not done correctly (example the source windows xp has previously seen the "new drive" it will be restored on). But all problems are fixable. I've never encountered a hard drive that I couldn't backup and restore.

3. stenews

Hi mate and thanks for your help
    It's almost all pretty clear but what do you mean with... :doubt:
    But let me ask you just one more question:
    In a Raid 0 configuration, if one hard disk break down what will going to happen to the data placed in the different partitions?

Bye and thanks again.
    Stefano.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stenews,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

In this case you will loose your data. If you have a backup image, you should replace the broken hard drive, configure the RAID array and recover the archive.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

5. stenews

Hi Oleg nice to read your reply! :D
    First off, I say thank to you to have answered my last question.

Can I ask you a bit more?
    Is it possible to use an old iomega Zip drive to store/replace my image(s)?
    It's connected trough a parallel port and I was wondering if Acronis Bootable Rescue Disk will be able to "see" it.
    Is there something to configure in the Bios set-up?

Anyway thanks for your help.
    Stefano.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stenews,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

According to Acronis True Image Home 2009 support storage devices you can use Iomega Zip drives for backup storage:

You can store backups on almost any PC storage device: internal or external hard drives, network drives or a variety of IDE, SCSI, FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1 and 2.0) and PC Card (formerly called PCMCIA) removable media drives, as well as CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, magneto-optical, Iomega Zip and Jaz drives.

The latest build of Acronis True Image Home 2009 (9709) has a fix restoring images located on Iomega drives. Check this on this link.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. stenews

Hi Dmitry and many thanks for your reply! :)
    As soon as I'll have some spare time and (of course) some quid to spend for I'll give it a try.

Bye and thanks again.
    Stefano.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.