can i turn on my pc with my router & smartphone?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Aug 17, 2017.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    no sure if it's the right subforum
    but i would like to know if i can turn on (cold boot) my pc with my router and smartphone ?

turn on(cold boot) i mean , power off (psu) -> power on (psu) -> my router it's always on -> and turn on and boot using my smartphone

in the past i was used to turn on with a ps2 keyboard , even my motherboard let me turn on with usb keyboard i never been able to do it,because when i turn off , the machine turn off usb power

thanks

2. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Technically anything is possible. The first thing that came to mind is a bit of a hack. An LAN activated Audrino board that could bridge the PC power button to turn on the PC. This is essentially what happens when you press the power button.

Although clearly i have no idea how to do this in practice, Audrino boards are cheap and very flexible in capability.

Otherwise there are remote Wake on LAN software available, although i understand your are chasing a cold boot option.

Regards.

3. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

We-e-e-e-llllll, perhaps. You need to put your PC power supply (that's the PSU input source) as an IoT preferably hardwired (CATx) to the router, and its LAN address known to your smart phone.

Actually, since you are--by definition--using WLAN to signal the PC power supply, we don't need the router at all (think about it...), so your security is--also by definition--badly compromised. :gack::sick::oops: I mean, it's compromised whether or not you use the router: all that does is pass the message. The "Thing" actuating the switch is the big security issue, most of them have very poor security.

EDIT: Reading TS4H, yes the "Thing" should actually be inside your box, between the PSU and the mobo. Now you can see how horribly compromised your machine would be? END EDIT.

About using the keyboard to wake up the box. I use my mouse, but then I did search and find a PS/2 rodent. I wanted to avoid accidentally starting the box by dropping something on the keyboard. And yes, I should shove it under the hutch. :isay: But this trick does require the box is on standby: if I disconnect it, or use the front button, it is stone motherless unpowered even after reconnection. Peripherals cannot wake it up, I need the front button. The important thing is that your motherboard must have a PS/2 controller.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You could do that for machines with remote management enabled.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Look in your BIOS Setup Menu for "Wake on LAN" and be sure to enable it. Most motherboards have this option as many PCs are used in an "unattended" location and that command is just for this reason. For example, so a user can start up a computer after a power outage.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi @gorblimey
    about ps/2 rodent do you mean ps/2 mouse?
    are hard to find in the local store , at least i haven't found any ps/2 mouse , only 1 keyboard
    yes my motherboard is 1 year old and have ps/2 mouse and keyboard plugs
    thanks

hi @TS4H
    but if a motherboard has the option to wake up via lan , in my case asus , why should so hard turn on(cold start) it?
    thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bill
    yes i know and it's enabled , there are several android applications like Mike Webb' Wake On Lan
    have you tried them ? do they start a pc cold start
    thanks

8. Bill_Bright

A "cold" start implies there is no power at all to the computer as in the computer is unplugged from the wall, or the power supply's master power switch, if present, is set to "Off" (0). So no, you cannot do a "cold" start remotely.

The power supply must be plugged in and the master power switch set to "On" (1). This puts the power supply into standby mode where it distributes +5Vsb standby voltage across many points on the motherboard, including the NIC (network interface card). Without that +5Vsb standby voltage, the NIC will not be able to sense any wake command and thus cannot signal the BIOS/Chipset to wake the rest of the computer.

This is the same with Wake on Mouse and Wake on Keyboard. If the PSU is unplugged from the wall (cold) or the master power switch is set to off, no +5Vsb voltage is on the USB ports to sense any key/button press or mouse wiggle.

So this only works with a "warm" start scenario - that is, the computer is in a standby state.

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    in my case the computer is always plugged at a ups ,always plugged at the wall plug
    but when it's off , usb keyboard or mouse don't start it up
    i would like to turn on via lan

thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  10. Bill_Bright

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@Bill_Bright: Just to clarify (especially for non-technical users): Standby =/= Sleep?

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, there are various levels/states of sleep mode... S5 state (deepest sleep mode) is almost the same as power-off except that it provides power some components lan, usb (depends on the system bios and how is configured); in s5 state most systems consume 1-2watt.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx

Panagiotis

13. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

Da. Meeces is rodents. :) Mine is a Genius XScroll Optical, I got it online, I think at Amazon, no longer sure at this distance. But it's a beauty, no random cursor jumping like with USB mice :D And very fast, very precise.

My keyboard is a Unicomp Model M, I still have an IBM Model M.

Look, don't bother with remote cold start. There are ways of making it go, but the security hassle is a killer, and the effort + price makes the RoI rather ridiculous. Better to go with "semi-cold" Wake on Keyboard or Wake on Mouse.

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i can turn on my machine via lan and my smartphone
    but if i turn off my pc and i keep off for a while , it doesn't work anymore

in the bios (after the last update) under apm i have deep s4 , deep s3 , restore ac power loss , ring, rtc and PCIE/PCI (lan) and nothing else (in the old bios i had usb keyboard,mouse , ps2 mouse&keyboard)

does the machine after a while turn off the lan? and so the wake up signal doesn't work

thanks

15. Bill_Bright

Yes and no.

As Panagiotis correctly notes, there are several sleep mode states.

Most people think of sleep mode as when you just walk away from your computer and after 15 - 30 minutes, you come back and your monitor and the computer have gone to sleep. That is one standby mode.

But if you properly shutdown your computer by going through the start menu and "shutdown" Windows, that is putting the computer into another standby mode. The computer is NOT completely "off".

The ATX Form Factor standard for PCs requires ATX power supplies supply +5Vsb standby power to the motherboard whenever the power supply is plugged into the wall and (if it has one) the master power switch on the back of the supply is set to on. In this condition, if the computer is not "booted" it is in standby as that +5Vsb voltage is being distributed to many points on the motherboard. This is to serve many purposes. It keeps USB ports alive for mice and keyboards. It keeps the front panel power button functional. It keeps the network card active so your router does not reassign the IP address to another device. On newer motherboards, it even keeps data alive in your RAM (in a low voltage state) for faster boots.

So just like your TV, microwave oven, and other devices when they are not actively in use; they are in standby mode just by being plugged in. If your TV, for example, was not in standby, it would not turn on when you pressed the power button on its remote.

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bill
    do you know after how many minutes/hours the machine put the nic in sleep mode when i shut down my pc?
    does the os (in my case windows ) send a command line to the nic when i turn off my machine

thanks

17. Bill_Bright

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.