Can I sign into Gmail, and not Google?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I am considering creating a new Gmail account, and am wondering if it is possible to login to Gmail without logging in to Google, so that when I visit google.com I am not signed in.

The reason for this is that I don't want Google keeping a record of my searches.

I know I could avoid the problem by using another email provider, but I like Gmail. It's not my first choice but since FastMail no longer offers free accounts, Gmail seems like a better option.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't think so. But you can disable a lot of things including saving your searches, in your Google account settings.

3. guest

guest Guest

You can't. It's an all in one account, and that also includes the silly G+.

4. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

No, once you use one Google service (barring search), they pretty much sign you up for them all.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can opt out of G+ and can even remove it from your account if you don't like it.

hqsec

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Actually...

This. I just realized the other day you can "delete" your G+ profile entirely and have a simple Google account.

7. gorhill

gorhill Guest

At 10$/year for FastMail, I'm completely stunned to read that "Gmail seems like a better option".

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Two browsers, sure. Two browsing profiles, sure.
    How about check email, sign out, sign in on demand?
    Mrk

9. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

block cookies explicitly for youtube.com and google.com, This way you will be able bypass both google search and youtube, when u login thru gmail.com :)

When you login from gmail.com (it actually logins from accounts.google.com), it will be able to set cookies only for gmail.com or mail.google.com but not youtube.com and google.com

In firefox, i did it from about:permissions.
    In Chrome, i did it thru httpsb addon.

Thanks, Harsha.

10. Minimalist

Yes that's the way I do it. Sign in, do whatever I have to, sign out, close browser (SBIE deletes cache), run browser with new session and don't worry about Google privacy...

hqsec

11. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

yeah, 2 browsers or multiple profiles in the same one it's the best solution in my view. I use this set-up regurarly. Very comfy.

12. DBone

DBone Registered Member

How exactly?

13. Minimalist

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Why not use StartPage for searching? You get Google results without the tracking.

15. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I also use startpage, so no issue.

But:

1. Results are somehow less accurate than google, especially if your search keywords are not in English.
    2. If you wanna go for images, Startpage is far below google in terms of results.

Daily it's does not matter much to me, but for some special searches I still google.

16. DBone

DBone Registered Member

17. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Startpage is practically useless unless you're going for something pretty common and well known. As for G+, yeah it's true you can "opt out". But don't expect to not be hounded about it in your Gmail. And, if you decide to do anything on Youtube besides simply watch videos, it will be forced on you.

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I currently have two accounts with FastMail, one of which I have been using for years and will keep doing so. So yes, I definitely do prefer FastMail to Gmail (and Hotmail, Yahoo etc), but this new account will mainly only be used for a short period of time until I purchase a domain and use an email address at the domain, so I figured why not use something free for now.

19. guest

guest Guest

I know. At least for now it's still possible. Although nobody can be sure if Google will enforce that damned G+ even further and make you have to own a G+ account if you want to use any of their services someday.

And gawd I just checked my old YT channel. Guess what I got...

Channel.jpg

I thought I still can opt out to not linking my channel to a G+ account. Now there's no way I can keep it without having to own a G+ account. :mad:

20. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

I figured this out from Disconnect extension. They use cookie handling. I do this on stock Chrome. Works well.

I only handle Gmail with my cookie policy. Accept all cookies, bar 3rd party/data. Erase all cookies when closed. Then whitelist these cookies:

mail.google.com allow

https://www.google.com block

you may need [*.]accounts.google.com clear on exit

Forget...

This will block Google search log-in, what you want, BUT you must add the rest off the google subdomains or you will be logged in there. So block translate.google.com or even youtube.com etc to get more robust rules. Every once in a while I'll find a new sub that I haven't blocked. I still see log-in on googlechromereleases.blogspot.com for example because it's not in the above policy and I post quick-bugs there sometimes so leave it.

See where I'm going?

Either way...it works. Cookie policy IS the answer without using extensions.

edit: I see Harsha Mic has already added the above info. He's on point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.