Can I Schedule Dialup to Initiate Updates?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by guruuno, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

Yes, got a client with DIAL-UP (no broadband, for a few more months anyway...) and I need to initiate, unattended (via task scheduler?) definition updates.

I have AOL, and have read here in these forums that NOD32 won't initiate the connection.

So, how to do, unattended dialup, get definitions, disconnect, and schedule say every 6-10 hours?

I've got the AOL down pat to dial out, but I need a process to start the call.

Like: (as an example??)
    If the computer will be connected to the Internet at a specified time, you may schedule to update its AV definitions listings via the Task Scheduler. Simply create a new job that runs the update link shown below:

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe http://localhost:????/settings.cgi?mode=refreshssnetdata

Note: this setup example assumes the default Port (o_O) configuration and installation path of Windows; if you have changed the port or path you must change the link above appropriately..

I got this example from 'Snapstream', and was wondering if I do something similaro_O

Please, my brain hurts!! :)

2. guruuno

3. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

If the machine has an internet connection NOD32 will look for updates hourly, by default.

BFG

4. guruuno

So, you say, that no matter how, why & what the ISP provicer (via dial-up), the connection will be initiated?

5. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

If you have a viable internet connection NOD32 will look for updates hourly, by default.

BFG

6. guruuno

OK, I'll try, but I'd like to have it dial 2 times a day, not hourly, process?

7. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

NOD32 will NOT dial anything. You need to have an open connection to the internet in order for NOD32 to update.

Each time you go on the internet NOD32 immediately tries to update and then hourly as long as you are connected.

Thank you,
    BFG

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In the Scheduler , there is an option which can make NOD32 auto update every time dial-up/VPN is initiated . Check it

NOD32 cannot automatically by itself start dial-up connection . I am not aware of software that can start automatically dial-up connection and then close it , thus making NOD32 auto update .

The point is that when you dial-up the Internet , NOD32 will update . If you have no internet , you are less likely to get infected by a modern threat.

9. guruuno

Well, that's my issue/point exactly.
    I have no need to manually initiate any connection (no Broadband, only AOL Dial-up), so what is being said, unless I utilize some 3rd party software to physically record keystrokes and do what needs to be done to start a connection, perform (force) an update, and then disconnect, I have no optionso_O

10. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

Do you ever go on the internet? If so, each time you do NOD32 will immediately look for an update. Immediately.

If you are on the internet for an hour it will look for another, and then hour after hour as long as you are still on trhe internet.

This happens every time you sign onto AOL and go online.

There is no other way you can update the machine unless you were part of a network and updated from another computer on the network.

Thank you,
    BFG

11. guruuno

The Windows 2003 Server R2 X64 has no purpose to go online, other than for NOD32 updates.
    Period.
    Ever.
    So, starting and ending a dial-up is needed for NOD, only NOD32.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You can once a day go online for a few minutes till NOD32 updates if you go internet just to update it .

Otherwise , just put the Mirror on another machine which is online more often and make the 2003 server machine update from that Mirror . The RAS/RAC can still be on the server machine .

13. guruuno

Sorry for the long, ongoing, seemingly never ending thread.
    I'll start from the beginning.

Server, 5 clients, NO INTERNET CONNECTION, only AOL Dial-up available (in a business center with only T1's & ISDN....yup, in this day and age).

No internet connections allowed for anyone, but NOD32 installed with Mirror on server, for clients to update.

All setup, working, but I have to manually initiate a AOL connection on the server for the NOD (& mirror) to update....and this is the ONLY interaction I ever need to do, which is what I am trying to address by automating with NO interaction, period.

14. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

If this now defines the entire issue, the answer is no to your original question.

But ... How do you receive email and when and how do you receive Windows updates?

BFG

15. guruuno

Because no one PC or person is allowed Internet access, the only updates are done via me, manually doing 1-2 times a year, taking the updates with me on removable media..
    However, when things change (broadband), then it's a different story.
    Thanks......

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

PC with no i-net connection is not that vulnerable , if at all vulnerable so why apply something for something else that will for sure not meet your machines ?

When in 2003/2004 I still used dial-up I updated my Windows 2 or 3 times per year and my AV two times per month because dial-up is slow and less vulnerable . Threats nowadays require internet and the faster the connection the better for them

17. guruuno

Because of employees, floppies, USB thumb drives, files, etc.

18. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello guruuno,

Did you explore the possibility of using the "execution of an external application?" Set a task to have the scheduler run the dialer.

19. guruuno

No.
    I was not aware of it.
    Do you know if AOL would work with it?
    I know it's a weird issue (a customer using AOL), but it's short term until broadband is installed, which has been delayed for over a year now, because of the electric company having the say about the cable company putting equipment on the poles, etc.
    Life.

20. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

I have no personal experience with the AOL dialer. I should think it would work fine. The application will be launched and I read your message that login was automated.

The method of terminating the connection may be an issue though. I do not know what if any command options are available through the AOL dialer. What decides to hangup? An event triggered task that "successful update occured", wait half an hour then hang up? Presume that the update occurs or not and the connection will timeout?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.