Can I restore image of partition C stored in partition D back to partition C with TI8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bombmichael, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bombmichael

bombmichael Registered Member

Can I restore image of partition C stored in partition D back to partition C with TI

My situation:
    My computer is windows xp sp2 and has 1 disk with 2 partitions C and D. Since my paritition C uses up a lot of space, say 6GB and I don't want to save the image on CD, I want to save an image of paritition C in partition D instead. And I want to restore the stored image in partition D to the partition C and have all the data on the restored partition repalced by the image data so that my computer can restore to a previous system point.

First question:
    Can I restore to a previous system point by Startup Recovery Manager or by TI 8 under Windows Xp with the image of partition C stored in partition D?

Second question:
    If I can restore to a previous system point by Startup Recovery Manager, can I activate Startup Recovery Manager just before I need to restore the image so that MBR is not overwritten when there is no such need to do so and so that my system setting will be maintained as the default one?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes. I do this all the time.

No, if you activate the Startup Recovery Manager, the MBR will be changed.

My recommendation is not to use the Startup Recovery Manager at all. Just store your image of C on D. Start the restore in Windows as long as Windows runs normally. If there is a problem booting Windows, use the TI Recovery CD to boot the system and do the restore. That way, you won't every modify the MBR.

3. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

Re: Can I restore image of partition C stored in partition D back to partition C with

Hi Michael,

jmk94903 is correct, but let me urge you to think about what backup you will have if the whole hard disk fails, your machine is stolen, etc.

A lot of people copy the ATI image of their C: drive to CD-Rs, DVDs etc and put the those discs in another location for greater safety.

4. bombmichael

Re: Can I restore image of partition C stored in partition D back to partition C with

***if anyone else who can answer my question besides jmk94903 can also reply.***

Hi jmk94903
    I like your suggestion. Since I don't have DVD-RW rom and only have CD-RW rom, either restoring in Windows or restoring after booting the system by TI Recovery CD is convenient to me.
    I have some more questions to ask you. Do you set up an Acronis Secure Zone in partition D and if you do, how do you figure out how much disk space is set aside for the Secure Zone?

5. bombmichael

***if anyone else who have some views about my comment besides Greyhair can also reply.***

Hi Greyhair
    Your point is quite good. I have thought about this after you reminded me of this potential problem of a failing disk. And I come up with a comprise.
    My pc have 1 disk with 2 partitions, namely C and D. Partition C is for installing Windows applications and partition D is for saving document files. Also I have a disk data recovery application called EasyRecovery Pro v6.0 which I can recover data in damaged disks, so if my disk fails, I can buy a new disk and install Windows and EasyRecovery Pro v6.0 in new one and install faulty disk as a secondary disk. Then I can use EasyRecovery Pro v6.0 to recover recoverable data in the secondary disk (original disk). Of course by this means, I cannot restore to a system point and can only restore files and documents rather than a whole system with original setting.

And if lucky, if the disk fails and the partition D in original disk is still in good condition, then I can install TI after I buy a new disk and install Windows in the disk and then I restore the image of partition C in stored in partition D in original disk back to the partition C in new disk.

Greyhair, how do you think of that comprise? I think if a disk fails, buying a new disk is necessary. So my point to buy a new disk is reasonable. And then my point to install the faulty disk and recover data really depends on what the condition of the image of C in original disk is. If it is good, the degree of trouble of "restore the image of partition C in stored in partition D in original disk back to the partition C in new disk" is more or less the same as that of restoring image from CD or DVD as you mentioned. If it is not good, the degree of trouble of "use EasyRecovery Pro v6.0 to recover recoverable data in the secondary disk (original disk)" is more than that of restoring image from CD or DVD as you mentioned. But I think I can withstand this worst case and so I am willing to risk for it as either restoring in Windows or restoring after booting the system by TI Recovery CD is quite convenient.

6. Greyhair

Hi Michael,

If I understand your plan, I think you are approaching this from the wrong direction. You don't want to try to recover data or your programs and operating system after a disk fails. You want to copy them and put them in safe places before a disk fails.

7. bombmichael

Hi Greyhair,

Sorry I don't understand what you really mean. What I want is to have a system point restore similar to what provided by Microsoft System Restore in Windows Xp or Norton Goback once there happens to be any system faults, such problems as not being able to browsing the internet using IE, or problems as receiving error pop up all the time when Windows starts up. By using TI, I hope I can restore to a system point with no problems. And my only obstacle to using TI in the traditional way(burn roms) is that my partition C is too large, I can't withstand to burn too many CDs. So I hope to save the image of C in D and restore the image by TI in Windows.

If my disk really fails, I think I would use some software to recover data in damaged disk if I really insist to save the image of C in D and neglect the possibility that my disk may one day fails.

8. Greyhair

Hi,

If we put aside restoring your operating system and programs, and just concentrate on data, do you really have so much data that you can't save it to an external medium like CDs?

You can always buy a new hard disk, and you can always reinstall Windows and your programs, although it's a pain in the neck. Recovering data after a disaster is much more expensive and time-consuming if it can be done at all.

9. jmk94903

The probability of recovering any data from a failed hard drive with software is too low to be part of a backup scheme. The professional companies that do this sort of recovery from failed hard drives charge $1,000 - $5,000 for a recovery. If all they had to do was check the drive with a software package, they wouldn't need to charge so much.

If you want a "restore point" that will work in the event of a drive failure, the image will have to be on CDs or on a second hard drive. A second internal hard drive would be cheaper than an external hard drive but not as secure since it could be compromised by a power surge that damages the first drive or a virus or lost in a theft or fire. However, it would be far better than what you are suggesting. Backups will also be faster to a second hard drive, so that's a nice benefit. Drives are cheap, so get an internal or external and enjoy the security.

When using a second drive or a second partition as you are currently doing, there is no real need to create a secure zone. I don't use one.

10. bombmichael

Hi all,
    Thank you for your replies and now I know what I should do.

My another question:
    Since I installed TI8, I haven't used it to create any image of my partition C yet. The total storage space of my C is 55.8GB and I have used 11GB, leaving 44.8GB free space. I want to ask which space count will be used as a basis for generating the image. Is it 55.8GB or 11GB?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  11. jmk94903

The basis for the backup image is the used space on your hard drive, 11GB. You can expect with Normal compression to have an image of 6-8GB size. Of course, this depends on what sort of files you have. If they are text documents, the compression will be greater and the small size is likely. If there are lots of photos or music which are already in a compressed format, the image size will be on the larger side.

12. bombmichael

Hi jmk94903
    Thank you for your information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.