Can I restore an image from DVDs to a freshly replaced hard drive?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by cf564, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cf564

cf564 Registered Member

I have made a back up image of my hard drive to 6 DVDs.
    I am wondering if my hard drive crashed could I use the DVDs to restore my system to a new hard drive?
    I ask this because of the fact that the first hard disc track and the master boot record are not part of the image on the DVDs and I’m not sure if that make a difference.
    I am using Hard Disc Manager 2010 Pro and running XP Pro OS

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Yes, it is possible.

You will have to restore the entiore HDD backup image you have to the new HDD. Once completed, boot from the target drive and check if it boots correctly.
    In most common cases there will be no issues.

If restored system won't boot, perform boot fix via BootCorrector tool from the Recovery CD of your Paragon program.

There are several options in the Boot Corrector. To select the right one - we need to know the error that appears after restore.

3. cf564

cf564 Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I thought it was possible but then I thought about a new drive that would not have the Master Boot Record on it and then how that would seem to be a problem in booting up after the restore is done. So does Windows write the Master Boot Record to the new drive when it boots?

Here is another thought, can the MBR be backed up separately and restored separately? Preferably on external media.

4. Mech_An

1. Usually new drive is already initialized as MBR drive. It means that MBR table already exists but empty.
    The final operation of the restore wizard is partition table update in MBR. It means that all new restored partitions will be written in MBR table.

Source MBR (even if it is restored from backup) will be updated too. If target hard drive has another size and\or partitions were restored with resize up or with shrink the MBR part where partitions starts and ends are written should be updated.

2. Yes, MBR could be restored separately from external storage. You need to backup only MBR & First HDD track via Backup Disk or Partition wizard. Then restore created backup after first restore operation (base full backup on DVDs) will be completed.

5. cf564

cf564 Registered Member

Thank you for filling in the blanks for me this is unexplored territory making a backup of an entire drive. You really know your stuff and you have greatly helped me to understand what is taking place in this process.

6. Mech_An

Glad to know it was helpful :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.